A Late Night Jog

(She's still wearing her mom's dog tags, is wearing combat boots instead of tennis shoes, and had headphones as well as pockets for her phone because reality can be whatever I want and I want to have pockets, good ones. I'll stop before I begin ranting, well, continue anyway. The video is the song she's listening too while jogging in this chapter)

When I looked at the clock, I realized it was nearly eight at night. I grabbed some workout clothes and got changed, strapping my combat boots to my feet with a silver dagger hidden inside it. I don't think the clippings book would have sent me if the werewolves were being nice to everyone. I put in my headphones and started my music as I jogged around town, trying to get a feel for the area. I jogged through Zombietown, there wasn't anything interesting going on at this time of night since most people were inside either eating dinner or getting ready to sleep or something. So, I started to jog towards the forest just beyond the suburbs of Seabrook. I found a fence that had a hole in it, but instead of going there, I climbed over the fence with ease, dropping down to the other side.

As I was jogging, I could smell things other than the forest. When I felt eyes burning into my back, I stopped. I stood ready to fight, but kept my stance relaxed, as if I had just taken a break to catch my breath. I pulled one of my earbuds out so I could hear if anyone tried to sneak up on me. I heard growling behind me and turned my head to the side, tilting my chin up as I was pretending to look at the moon. I cast my eyes back to where I heard the growling, catching a glimpse of glowing yellow eyes. I took a deep breath and continued on my jog, keeping one earbud out so I could listen for any possible threats.

After about a quarter mile, I heard growling again, this time louder, more aggressive, and the yellow eyes were right in front of me. I skid to a stop, my boots sliding against the leaves on the forest floor as I fought to keep my balance while coming to a stop. When I finally did stop, I was only a few feet away from the glowing eyes. I didn't meet them directly but rather looked in the general direction. I didn't want to challenge anyone, or anything before my first day of school. I looked down at my phone, it was almost 8:30 which isn't really late, so I put my phone away and looked up to find that there was another pair of eyes looking at me know. I pulled a paper clip out of one of my pockets and started to bend it.

The growling stopped and I smiled, holding up the paper clip towards the moon, I had bent it into the shape of a wolf howling. Since the paper clips weren't made from silver, I figured the wolves would be fine, so I walked over to a tree and placed it on top of the lowest branch. Then, I turned around and started the jog home.