And So It Begins

When I woke up it wasn't because of my alarm, it was because of a knock, not on my door, but on my window. I groggily sat up from where my head was lying on my desk. I looked over to the window and felt a hundred emotions wash over me as I saw Wyatt crouching on the fire escape outside. I walked over to the window and opened it.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, Wynter told me you were jogging in the woods last night and I wanted to talk to you" He explained.

"Okay, just let me get changed and I'll meet you out front so we can walk to school. I have some questions I want to ask you too" I replied, closing the window after he nodded and watched him climb down the fire escape.

I got changed, grabbed my papers, books, and my backpack. Running my thumb over my mom's dog tags as I walked outside.

"Freya!" I heard Wyatt greet, "This is my sister Willa, and this is the wolf you met in the woods yesterday, Wynter, Willa, this is Freya, she's the new girl" I nodded.

"You said you had some questions for me?" I reminded, starting the walk to school, trying to balance the large stack of books and folders in my hands.

"Yeah, you told Wynter that you weren't a normal human, what did you mean by that?" Willa demanded, stopping Wyatt from saying anything.

"It's complicated, but I grew up surrounded by magic, not just zombies and werewolves, but gods, artifacts, demons, spirits, fairies and everything in between. Now it's my turn, what's a moonstone?" I replied simply.

"How do you know what about the moonstone?" Wyatt asked curiously and I shook my head.

"You answer my question, then I'll answer yours, what is it?" I said firmly.

"The moonstone the source of our energy, now how do you know about it?" Willa responded.

"I did some research" I responded simply, "How did your pack become werewolves?"

"We don't really know; over time it's been forgotten, all we know are the stories from after" Wyatt explained.

"Did any of those stories mention Anubis?" I asked.

"No, I don't remember the name Anubis. Why do you ask?" Wyatt inquired as we approached the school.

"It'll be easier to explain if I have a table where I can lay out these papers" I responded, motioning to the papers and books in my hands, unfortunately that unbalanced the stack, I tried to rebalance it but dropped the papers from the top of the stack in the process. As I watched them fall Wyatt's hand reached out and snatched the papers out of midair.

"Nice reflexes" I complimented. Wyatt nodded, smiling at me as he opened the file. My eyes widened as he started flipping through the papers.

"What are these?" He asked, I looked at Willa and Wynter before turning back to Wyatt.

"Research, I'll explain everything, but it would be easier to show you everything at once" I said, rushing inside and heading towards the library. I heard three pairs of footsteps behind me, along with the sound of papers trading hands. As soon as I reached a table, I started to lay out all my books and papers as Wyatt, Willa, and Wynter all stood across from me.

"Apep or Apophis, was the Egyptian god of evil and darkness, until Set became the main symbol of evil in the later ages. A few years ago, Apep used an underground particle accelerator to summon Anubis. Anubis was the god of the afterlife, and the patron god of lost souls and the helpless. He was also the original werewolf. When Apep grew powerful enough to control Anubis, he summoned him. Anubis turned a dozen soldiers into werewolves, but not wolves like you, they were mindless, and they could infect others with bites and scratches. One of my brothers stayed behind at a catwalk, he collapsed it so they couldn't follow us, but he got bit. I couldn't do anything but watch as he turned into a wolf, slowly lost control until he was almost fully wolf, enslaved to Anubis, and by extension Apep. Needless to say, when I learned werewolves were able to make decisions of their own, I was rather interested in if you guys were even related to Anubis. For all I know you guys might not be descended from Anubis. However, with Apep still on the lose I need to know if you guys are in any way related to Anubis because I can't watch anyone lose themselves to an Egyptian god who wants to watch the world burn" I explained, pointing to pictures and notes all over the table as tears surfaced in my eyes.