iv. Covers

iv. Covers
__________

"Don't judge a book by it's cover."

Ah, the advice we hear so often. But do we take it? Usually not. Whether you think you are or not, you are consciously, or subconsciously, judging a book by the cover. We've all done it.

So yes, the cover of your book does matter. But when deciding what you want you cover to look like, it can be difficult. Here are some of my (as a graphic designer--not professional, but still am nonetheless) tips for making/requesting a cover:

1. Make Sure the Text is Readable

There are a lot of great fonts out there, but some are just unreadable and not suitable for book cover use. And many great fonts can be used the wrong way simply because they aren't large enough.

Make sure the reader can clearly read what the title is, and preferably the author as well. 

2. Make Sure the Theme Fits the Book

The theme of your cover should reflect what your book is about. Is your book full of mystery and adventure? You should probably go for a darker, mysterious theme, then. A pink cover with rainbows and unicorns wouldn't go with a plot such as that, for example.

3. Don't Make it too Chaotic

Less is more. No, you don't have to make all of your covers simple and minimalistic--just don't make it overcrowded and chaotic to the point where it's just overwhelming and you can't even tell what kind of book it is.

4. Don't Copy Others' Covers

Reason #1: Copying is never okay, especially when someone took the time to make a cover and you simply copy it for your own book. 

Reason #2: You want your cover to stick out and be original! Copying someone else's work will not give you that.

5. First Impressions - Questions to Ask

Does this cover reflect me as an author? Does it reflect my book? Is it original? Will is catch someone's eye? Is it intriguing?

If you have any other tips you would like to add, please, feel free to comment them to share with others!

NEXT: Section One, Resources