BONUS: Making a Flawed Character That's Likable

BONUS: Making a Flawed Character that's Likable

This one is something that all authors need to find a balance in. We want to make our characters realistic, but we also want them to be likable. Finding that sweet spot can be difficult, so here's some advice based on my own research and experience!

1. Don't make your character perfect.

You're probably thinking, "Of course, that's the entire point of this chapter!" and you're right. But this is so important that it needs to be covered.

Here's the thing: sometimes we make characters with flaws, but we don't actually show them in the story. Say the character is stated to be really shy, but throughout the story, you continue to show them as social, bubbly, and energetic. 

I've seen this far too often. I'll be reading a book where the reader is told that the character is x, y, z, but I only see a, b, c. When a character has a flaw, it needs to be consistent. Someone isn't going to go from independent to needy in a moment's notice, for example. 

2. Show the positive and the negative of their flaws.

Even though it's called a "flaw," there's always a positive side to it that you initially notice. Here are some examples,

Character Flaw: Neediness.
Initially seems sign of: Desire for the other, emotional openness, paying attention.
Negative side: Suffocation, lack of space, imbalanced co-dependence.

Character Flaw: Narcissism.
Initially seems sign of: Confidence, strength, decisiveness.
Negative side: Self-focus, lack of empathy, arrogance.

Character Flaw: Shyness.
Initially seems sign of: Humility, endearing vulnerability, sensitivity.
Negative side: Lack of self-love, passivity, weakness.

Character Flaw: Need for control.
Initially seems sign of: 'Take charge' reliability, discipline, focus.
Negative side: Dominating, punishing, demanding.

See how these flaws start out seemingly positive, but then the negative side begins to show? Character development includes flaw development. Develop these flaws, and you'll have a well built character.

3. Explain your character's flaws.

Everyone character's personality ultimately has a backstory. Perhaps the character has a hard time trusting people because of a traumatic experience, or perhaps they are overly carefree because they've never had a struggle in the world.

Readers need to know why a character has their flaws. It helps them relate and connect with the character, making them more realistic and drawing the readers into their world. A relatable character is a well-liked character, and to be relatable, they need to be realistic--aka, they can't be perfect, and you need to show their point of view regarding experiences that may have contributed to certain flaws.

4. Develop their flaws.

Don't just leave the flaws stagnant, let the characters develop. Share the character's journey in your writing. Maybe they started out dishonest and untrustworthy, but as the end draws near, we see that they've improved (note that they won't do a complete 180--that would be unrealistic, which is what we're trying to avoid).

Develop their flaws by giving the character different obstacles in which their weaknesses and strengths are tested. This is where they'll grow, and the reader will see that, as well.

And that's it! If you have any tips of your own, don't hesitate to drop a comment and share them!
Thanks for reading!