I - Comparisons

I love how I start this out with a rant lol.

( I will do a tutorial soon. I haven't been feeling much joy doing many things lately and that includes graphics so fml)

----------

If I had a kobo for every single time someone said this, directed at me or not :

"Oh my god! Your skills are so much better than mine. I'm a horrible graphic artist and you're queen! I have to belittle myself to give you compliments because I somehow think that's gonna make you feel even more flattered– and you have to know my self esteem just plummeted to the fucking ground! 💕💕❤️😍😍😍😍"

I would be richer than whoever the hell invented bread.

It's a common occurrence on this smut app, because apparently we all have the self esteem the size of a baby potato. We design a cover, feel proud of it for a couple of days, then stumble across another graphic designer who just happens to be much more skilled, and then the cover we designed suddenly turns to trash.

And so we project our insecurities in the seemingly "better" designer's comment section, praising them while effectively bringing ourselves down.

Which just makes me go yikes.

There are two messages I wanna pass across here.

The first one is, telling a graphic designer "i wish i were talented like you" or whatever, can make them uncomfortable.

Okay, let me not generalise. Instead i shall personalise.

It makes me uncomfortable.

Like, I don't get why you do that? Now I need to reassure you that your covers are fine, which you'll reply with "ohh nooo you're too nice my covers are trash", and I'll be looking at my screen all confused and wondering what I should say to make this insecure graphic designer feel good about themselves.

I also feel some sort of guilt, and I can't explain where tf it comes from bc I know it's not my fault, but damn it sure as hell feels like it.

I just don't understand the need for you to compare. I also, and I cannot stress this enough, do not understand your need to be so humble you become SELF DEPRECIATING!

That's the problem I have with people, especially on this smut app. You treat confidence like it's a horrible thing and instead settle for hUmILiTY (overhyped) like someone's gonna fucking jump you because you say your cover's nice.

Take pride in every thing you do even if it turns out to be shit (everyone makes shit stuff, it's normal). Don't bring yourself down (bc you see this perfect graphic designer that has probably being doing it for YEARS more than you)!

It doesn't matter if you look like you're tooting your own damn horn because you WORKED HARD dammit.

Stop with the comparisons and the hateful comments to yourself! Your graphics are fucking GOLD.

You don't have to tear yourself down to bring others up!

Be like "love thisss" and move on! Say "there's some great designers in this contest, but i know i have what it takes" and believe it (dattebayo)! Think "oh this graphic designer is so good" without thinking that you'll never measure up (bc you can and you do) !

LOVE YOUR FUCKING GRAPHICS OKAY?

The second message i wanna pass across is not about loving your graphics, it's about work.

See that amazing deviantart designer? It probably took them six years to get to that point, with lots of tutorials, practice, and maybe even online classes.

They make bad covers all the time that they just scrap!

And most importantly, they're not you! So why the hell do you think your graphics should compare?

If you see someone with greater skill than you, just clench your fist like a female character in Naruto and say "I'll catch up to them someday". ( then proceed to say "naruto-kun" for the next 300 chapters–)

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL GET BETTER AT GRAPHIC DESIGN.

Be like Sakura. Except better (and faster bc jfc sweetie sure took her time catching up to nardo and sasook)

:::

idk if y'all get me. I'm saying no matter what you're awesome now and you will be awesome later.

Except for designers who use the wattpad covers app.

Go get ibispaintx you fucking clowns 🤡