VIII - Stop being a fucking art thief : the sequel

There are two sections

Section A : to the people who are here to learn

Section B : to the absolute clowns who think they can defend themselves

Section A

.

Hi, I'm Milo, and I'm going to explain to you this little tricky thing called "resources".

What is a resource? :  a source of supply, support, or aid, especially one that can be readily drawn upon when needed. In graphic design, it is simply the things you need in order to make your graphics, like a png of a snake.

You're probably wondering, what can be classified as a resource, and what can't be ? Where do I draw the line in my resource hunt? How do I know Captain Milo won't fucking come for my ass if I use this resource?

I have the answers beauties. First of all, and there are no and ifs buts or wells, do not use someone's art as a resource. It is not a resource, it will never be a resource, and you can't make it into a resource :)

As an artist, I find it so disheartening how LITTLE graphic designers actually value art and the art community in general. If you valued art you wouldn't be pasting text over it, you wouldn't be changing the colour gradient or "adding things" then claiming you did graphic design. It's honestly just a big "screw you" to the artist that took hours, even DAYS trying to create something by editing over it like it belongs to you.

That fanart? It belongs to someone. That aesthetic art? Someone drew that. That cute icon? It's not yours to edit. Please listen to me, I'm not saying this to discourage you as a graphic designer, I'm saying this because this is a problem that has been rampant in the art community for as long as I remember (art theft, reposts, etc).

Now on to my next rant and this is photography.

Stop using Pinterest to find photographs. Some of these photographs are protected by copyright, meaning they're not meant to be edited over.

The thing with Pinterest is that anyone can find a photo from the internet and post it in their board, therefore putting it in the stream of endless photos for you to see. Just because you see it posted there doesn't mean the artist or photographer was informed or gave consent to have it posted.

There's a difference between a stock image and photography art. For example (and this is an arbitrary one), a picture of a dude smiling will most likely be stock, whereas an artistic photograph of a model with idk, a fish, is photography art and it's not for use. Photography is also a form of art and should be respected as such.

Good places to find free images :

Pexels
Unsplash
Pixelbay
Freepik.com
Deviantart (search background stock)