XII : HOSTING A COMMITED GRAPHIC CONTEST

Yeah yeah I have like 3 pending chapters I promised to deliver but hey, when have I ever kept my promises? 😚

This chapter I am going to be sharing my knowledge on contests and how to properly host a commited contest. And just in case you're questioning my experience I've hosted a contest before, been a judge in 2 and participated in over 6.

Yes I am jobless.

These are filled mostly with mistakes that I have made in the past, but I put the word "you" so you contest hosts and judges can feel attacked as you should uwu

: :

1. CHOOSE THE RIGHT TIME SPAN

What I've noticed with a lot of contests is that we stretch out the time span, so for example we'd have a contest from like April to August.

And to this I tell you, stop.

This is not a reality show where the contestants sign a legally binding contract so they have to stick it out to the end; this is WATTPAD. In other words, no one is willing to stay so long for a contest, even if they claim to be committed in the forms. A lot can happen in the span of one month alone that can cause someone to drop out.

If you want to make sure the contest doesn't drag out, the contestants and judges don't get bored, people don't drop out and you as a host dont lose motivation, then keep your timeframe SHORT.

A month to two months is all you need. Stretching it out and making several rounds is wasted effort on your part.

2. Choosing the right time frame

By this, I mean what time in the year are you starting your contests and what time in the year is it ending?

Let's say, hypothetically, your contest is two months, and you decide it starts August. This means your contest is going to end October which is a terrible time frame because PEOPLE. HAVE. SCHOOL. AND. JOBS!!!!!!!

When someone starts school or work, BEST BELIEVE they aren't going to give a rat's ass about submitting a graphic to some contest that ain't even paying them in the end. As a host, you should pick a time frame that will be most suitable to most people, like I don't know....

S U M M E R

(In other words stop making committed contests right now. You will be greatly disappointed. )

3. Ask the right questions

By this, I mean when you make the forms stop asking irrelevant questions like what age are you or why did u choose this contest—it doesn't help anybody.

Also stop asking that shitty rate your graphics from 1-10 bullshit. YOU rate their graphics like the host you're supposed to be ffs 😭

Ask important questions. What software/app do you use? Are you currently in school or at work/Is it a holiday in your country? When did you start graphic designing? Send a link to your graphics etc etc whatever

4. Go through the forms VERY CAREFULLY

Yeah, picking random people is the worst idea ever because :