Part 1 (edited)

Colby

I don't think I've been this enthusiastic in a really long time. And over a piece of furniture. No, scratch that, I'm not necessarily excited about the piece of furniture, more excited about the look on Emma's face when she sees said piece of furniture.

When I heard our local furniture store was having a sale, I went down and took a look at what they had in stock. Lucky for me, I found a dark grey couch that would fit perfectly in my empty living room. The cost was reasonable, the delivery was free, well, besides the beer I owe Sam for helping me bring it into the house, but now, standing in my living room, looking at the piece of furniture, I can't help but wonder if Emma will approve.

I've never picked out a piece of furniture from a store before. I have no decorating style whatsoever, so I picked a color I liked and made sure it was comfortable. The comfortable part was the most important factor. I hate stiff sofas. They're meant to be good enough to sleep on.

Nervously, I pace the living room, occasionally looking out the window every few minutes. It's past eight. She should be home by now. She's never home this late. What the hell is she doing?

I pick up my phone to see if I missed any messages from her but there is nothing. I'm about to call her when I see a car pull onto our street and into the driveway when the headlights flash down the dark hall, my stomach flips and my nerves kick into overdrive.

She's home.

Home.

Up until now, I haven't considered this place my home. How is it that with Emma living here, it actually feels like home to me?

Maybe because she brings a certain light to the dreary dungeon I've created between these walls.

I go to the side door where I open it and stick my head out to greet her. When she sees me, her gorgeous smile lights up her face. That smile, that thick, lush hair, those kind eyes.

Emma.

The girl I grew up with, the girl who I'm now sharing a house with, temporarily at least.

"Hey there." She shuts her car door, her nursing books are close to her chest, and her backpack is slung over one shoulder. "Is this a new rule? Must meet roommate at door?"

Yes, because you came home to me.

"No." I take her books and backpack from her and step to the side so she can walk inside. "I have something to show you."

Looking a little skeptical, we walk in and she steps into the kitchen and turns around to face me as she takes off her coat. Underneath, she's wearing her blue nursing scrubs, a pale blue that makes her eyes shine. "You have something to show me, should I be scared? It's not a bunch of guys with small dicks for the magazine we talked about, is it?"

I laugh and set her gear on the counter. "No. And if that's something you're expecting me to do for you, find a bunch of mini wieners, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Not my forte, babe."

"Don't know any small dicks?" Her smile practically reaches her ears.

I shake my head. "I know one dick, babe, and it sure as hell isn't small."

Her eyes quickly glance at my crotch, causing a little chuckle to come out of me. Oh Emma, the sweet girl.

"You got some X-ray vision I don't know about?"

"What?" Her eyes snap up. "No, I wasn't . . . there was a fly . . . I . . ." She sighs and then puts her hand on her hip. "I'm going to level with you." Taking a deep breath, she continues, "You can't just say something about having a not-so-small peenie weenie and think I'm not going to glance down."