Chapter 39

**Important note at the end, please read!**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, my eyes did open again.

    But the pain that accompanied my return to consciousness was less than desirable, so much that I almost wished my fate had fallen to death.

    Slowly the feeling of my body returned to me, beginning with my hands then my feet; from the most distal parts of my body to the most proximal, slowly moving inward like waters rising on a sinking ship. My chest pitted on an abrupt gasp, mostly from pain, as acknowledgment of my full condition became known.

    Everything hurt.

    Oh god, it hurt beyond what I have felt in a very long time.

    When Dustin and I crashed on the motorcycle, that was painful. When the Count sliced my skin into ribbons and plunged a knife through my leg, that was nearly unbearable – absolutely agonizing, surpassing all else up to that point. But the pain I felt now was different from those instances, different from the punches and scrapes and superficial abrasions.

    This pain I now felt, was deep. It was inside me, intertwined with my vessels and harvesting my life for its own greedy hunger, coursing through my veins and attacking the very body it was dependent on. I could feel the way it slithered like snakes along my limbs and burrowed deep while it drained my strength and absorbed my sustenance, all the while feeding on my heart and weakening it with the passing days.

    Days ... how many days has it been? How long have I been unconscious?

    Is there anything left of me?

    Crippling pain took the form of a headache that throbbed violently. Even with my eyes closed, the dull light that shined from somewhere above was too bright. I was laying somewhere very soft with lovely smelling blankets and pillows all around, yet still my body ached and a constant fever pulsed around my leg until it was too much for me to bear.

    Anguish jolted through my muscle and caused me to fold, I tried to sit but the world tumbled and I dropped back down without raising much more than an inch.

    "Sadie?" Came a soft voice, so gentle and encouraging. But also devastated. As if they have been calling my name endlessly without response, "Sadie, honey, can you hear me?"

    I managed to pry open my eyes but the light was blinding and it blurred my sight. It made my eyes water and tears slipped from the corners of my eyes into my hair. Someone was sitting directly in front of me and though I couldn't see them clearly, I recognized fluffy blonde hair and a pale green eye that matched the soothing voice I heard only moments before. His name was warm on my tongue and I was pleased to discover how easy it was to smile, "Lumiere."

    His body moved closer, his hip now against mine, leaning over me, "Hey sweetie, I'm here. I'm right here."

    Being near him was enough to drive radiating warmth into my body, a special kind of warmth so very different from the fire that was always circling around my leg. Lumiere's warmth was like rays of pure sunlight, clouds of heat from a cozy bonfire, or steam from a fresh cup of coffee; the kind of warmth you never wanted to be without.

     I tried to reach towards him but my hand barely lifted from the bed, it only suspended weakly in the air near my side. Lumiere quickly grasped my hand between his to hold it up since I could not do so on my own.

    Almost immediately I noticed how dreadful he looked, but it was a different kind of dreadful. Not as though he has been beaten or injured physically, but perhaps mentally. Definitely emotionally. As if his soul had been tested and his essence stolen.