Chapter 5

If anyone hated our boss wholeheartedly, it was my tech buddy, Colton Davis

If anyone hated our boss wholeheartedly, it was my tech buddy, Colton Davis. With the right amount of wit, Cole could just as easily blow Ron's shit up.

The part of the job I loved most was Cole, since the first mission we partnered on and every other project through the years. He and I were the golden pair, the dynamic duo of the Skyfall Corps. While I was the arms and the heavy lifter, he was the brain and an absolute mastermind.

Cole looked a lot better than he did two days ago, less exhausted. He scratched his head. "Ron gave me a shit ton of lecture on this. All bullshit! He could've handed us this," he tore the sticky note off the leather file our boss had handed me, "sticky note, instead of the stupid, empty file. What are we supposed to do? Fill this?"

"Maybe you should take this up with him."

"I'd end up choosing violence over a civilised conversation, B, which is so not me." He fanned his face. "He offered this to us because everyone else refused. I can bet on it." There was no doubt about that. "All aside, do you know the details on our target, or do I need to brief?"

I shook my head. I knew all I needed to know about our target Adonis Vitale, Capo of the Vitale Empire, which was one of the two organised crime families in New York, collectively known as Cosa Nostra, aside from the Illianos Family.

The capo of the Vitale Empire, however, was a walking ghost. In this digital age and with the reputation he had, it was a shock that his presence on the internet was just articles and news. No pictures. No personal information. Nothing.

How could a person be untraceable?

For the past two days, all I had done was dig through article after article, news after news, only to come across pictures of either group of men or just places and clubs. I was both mentally and physically worn out.

The deets on the previous capo were out there on plenty, though. David Vitale, Adonis's uncle, had a son who had died under suspicious circumstances. Death in their field of work was normal and borderline brutal, so it was no shock. David had no other son to crown the position, so, with the threats from the Bratva, the Mexican Mafia and the street gangs, Adonis had to take his place as the big bad wolf of the east. Besides that, David also had to daughter, who, too, had less information out there.

All the information we had on the faceless capo came from four different people: Domenico Guerra, David Vitale, Orazio Cantos and Elias Morello.

Elias was the biggest chuckhole in all of this.

Elias Morello became famous because of the brand he had grown, partaking in NGOs and development projects. He was just a businessman.

Cole reminded me of how most business owners in New York did unsettling jobs underneath their posh living. The powerful people backed the rich and vice versa. That was the reality of life.

"What dispute does Adonis Vitale have with Elias Morello?" I asked with an arched brow. "I saw in a few articles that people from the Cosa Nostra trashed many of Elias's workplaces. Can it be business rivalry?"