CHAPTER 1: To Hell

2020

9:30 am

Cambridge University

JAMES ALEXANDER VARGUEZ III

"Gooood Morning, Grumps!" My best friend, Jack, greeted. He walked to me, brushing his fingers through his dirty blond hair.

"Remind me how many times I've told you to stop calling me that bloody pet name?!" I frowned at him.

"Uhhm, probably even before we hit puberty?" he teased.

I shook my head. "Exactly."

I sighed, he was never going to give up calling me that. At least he called me that only every morning because according to him, he couldn't help it.

"Every morning you honestly look like a grumpy, old, divorced, and lonely man," he chuckled. "Even though you're only 24, but still. . ."

I just groaned as I continued walking towards the university. The massive Victorian building towered over us splendidly. Thinking it was only a small part of the colossal school, I struggled to take it all in as my eyes stared at it with admiration.

With each step taken forward, it only seemed to become larger. From its foggy windows to its sturdy bricked walls, one would wonder about all the histories it could tell. I glanced at my sides and saw that the grass was perfectly trimmed just as they always were.

Although it was still considerably early, there were already students laying and some crouching on the lush grass, seemingly immersed by the University's aesthetic surroundings. It was an elegant sight. Indeed one would take a long time to get used to it.

"See? You're not even listening anymore!" Jack exclaimed, stopping me from further appreciating the beautiful school.

"That's because you talk a lot, Jack, my head aches," I chuckled.

He tutted. "Why am I even friends with you?"

"You can't complain now, mate. Nobody else wants to be friends with you, so you're stuck with me."

He glared at me with his bright blue eyes as he punched my shoulder playfully and laughed. I couldn't help but laugh with him too.

"You know that is not true!"

Jack Ace Bennet has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. I remembered when Mrs. Baker, our neighbor, almost had a heart attack when she found out we shaved her favorite cat. I still felt a little bad about it, a little. I mean we didn't know it was hers. Jack found the cat stuck in a sewer and felt bad when he saw chewing gums sticking to its fur, so I suggested we just shave it which was a bad idea. Mrs. Baker was a bitter woman in her sixties who lived alone and had seven cats and a tea garden on her front yard. Good thing she gave up complaining about how we shaved her favorite cat when Jack threatened to shave Bimby, her second favorite cat. We were ten.

I smirked.

"Yo dude! Quit spacing out!" He slapped my back lightly.

Jack was a hyper human being even when we were kids and I don't know how or where he gets his optimism and energy. Perhaps he inherited it from his vet parents who often spontaneously traveled even the most dangerous parts of the world to save any animal they could. The would bring some of them back to their prodigious Norfolk Zoo's Central Hospital. They were like the Irwins of Britain.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" 

"I just remembered something," I chuckled, "Do you remember Mrs. Baker?"