7. Christian

11 years ago

"Is it just me or Professor Hilton's classes are absolutely boring?"

I stared at the scribbled note on the desk I was seated at in my first morning lecture. It made me chuckle. The beautiful cursive writing definitely belonged to an artist. I was internally hoping it would be an artist as beautiful as her handwriting.

Damn. I am already referring to her as "her". It could even be a dude for God's sake. I took a big gamble.

"I certainly agree."

"I know, right. He needs to retire already. How old is he, 150?"

"Too farfetched a thought, miss."

"Oh, someone thinks he got lucky. I could be a guy, genius."

"50 bucks say you aren't. Want to prove me wrong? Meet me at the initiation ceremony. Wear a combination of red and white, and a black hairband.

"You know, I can always send in a stand-in."

"I am going to get a handwriting check, Sherlock."

I scribbled the last message with my pencil next to the trail of note exchange I had been doing with this mystery person over the previous five days.

"Move over, man," Noah announced as he placed his bag on the desk.

"Oh I am not, you'll have to go in", I said as I pushed in my seat, trying to hide that scribbled note conversation and making space for him behind me to move in.

"Why doesn't he just retire?" Noah huffed.

Well, you aren't the only one that wants that.

"We have got to finish his assignment this week. You free to work tonight?" He asked.

"Nope. It's the initiation ceremony tonight for the fresher's."

Noah dragged his hand down his face and frowned. "Right. I completely forgot about it. Can't believe that crap is still popular."

The initiation ceremony was something like a welcome ceremony for the first years, to blend them in with all the seniors and play some embarrassing fun games with them.

"You will come?"

"I might. There's this interesting first-year girl who joined our Strategy Club. I would like to know her better." He replied with a grin spread across his face. This was the first time I saw him excited about a girl, passionate about anything. His being the first rank holder wasn't any more exciting for him. He just always effortlessly managed to get it, while I was stuck in the second position. We were best friends, but at the same time, we were competing.

Who would have thought we would be competing for more than just grades.

***

"Where are you? What's all that noise?" Sebastian shouted from the other side of the phone.

"The initiation ceremony." I chuckled.

"Look after my sister Christian. If anyone dares to make her cry, you got to kick his ass."

"Dude, your sister is my sister, what was her name again?"

"Hailey. Wait, I am sending you a picture."

I hung up and dashed to the club. I was late already for the ceremony. The club was brimming with people dancing and drinking. It was booked for the entire night by us seniors. At the far end of the room was the large circle of the Strategy Club new recruits. I belonged to that club so I should have been part of that circle, but my eyes were frantically searching for someone dressed in a combination of red and white, with a black hairband.