16. Christian

11 years ago

"I can't believe we won!" I gasped as I looked at my laptop screen that displayed the results of the simulation game. Bigfoot consulting had released a new simulation contest where people could participate as a team, and the winner was eligible for an interview for a winter internship with them.

Bigfoot was one of the most sought after companies on our campus. My father retired as the CEO last year, and they had the same hopes from me.

Noah and I had partnered up for the event, and we just received the results of the final round. But there were two of us and only one internship spot.

"Congratulations!" He grabbed my hair and rolled my head around three times. "You are going to Bigfoot!"

"You forget that there's still that interview and you're the first ranker. Your chances of getting it are pretty high."

"I am not going for it," he spoke as he laid back on his bed.

"Huh, what? Why?"

"I am not fond of that line. I can't work my ass off for hours just to fill the pockets of some already rich dudes."

Then why the hell are you the head of the Strategy Club?

I glanced at his shelf filled with books on consulting, strategy, and public speaking. In the time that I spent as his roommate, I learned that he always aspired to become an influential thought leader. No way you don't want the Bigfoot opportunity. At least hide the evidence when you are trying to lie. He is doing this for me.

I was grateful to him back then. He was kind, giving, understanding. But I never imagined this selfless nature of his would get even more pitiful with time. This was what I started hating about him; him giving up in the middle, making me feel like I didn't deserve it.

Present Day

He fell back on the floor as I punched him on the cheek.

"What the hell Christian?" He growled, rubbing the swollen area.

I grabbed him by his shirt and dragged him to the lawn outside.

I consoled Hailey until she fell asleep and then dropped her at her apartment. Thankfully I still had the keys to her place. Then I rushed back to Noah's place and banged his door like crazy, and as soon as he opened the door, I lunged at him.

"What is wrong with you?" He asked, taking a defensive gesture.

I didn't pay attention to his words. I just let my hands speak. So I connected my fists to his jaw again. He stumbled back a little, and I further punched him in the gut.

I loosened my tie and unbuttoned my suit jacket. I put them both aside and readied my fists at him. He managed to stand back on his feet, but I gave him a roundabout kick. Lucky for him, he dodged. I jumped forward again and grabbed his collar, but this time he grabbed my arms and flipped me over his shoulder to the ground.

"Are you insane!" he bellowed.

I scoffed, then chuckled and then my chest rumbled with laughter. The adrenaline had waved off a little, and I found myself breathing hard.

"So you do know how to fight..." I mumbled.

"Of course, I do! I just use it judiciously. Who does that in the middle of the night?"

"Shut up you bastard, don't try to reason with me right now or I just might kill you." I bit out.

"What is this about?"

"Really, Noah? I didn't think you were this dumb."

I looked up at him. He was staring back at me, trying to wipe the blood off the corner of his lip.