Backstage Pass

Being split up for a year was difficult. Kai became a wrestler, Jay hosted his own TV show, and Cole travelled deep into the forest to become a lumberjack while Lloyd continued his ninja duties. Crime had been at an all-time low thankfully, so managing it all alone was proving to be okay so far, and the other ninja hadn't been needed in over a year anyway.

This was the price they had to pay for losing their friend.

The group kept in touch for only a few weeks after their split, but distance began settling itself in between them all. The master of fire had felt very guilty about losing his dearest friend, while Jay and Cole, as much as they felt bad about the loss of Zane, couldn't stand each other any longer. It only made the suffering unbearable. The thought of continuing team duties, enjoying themselves during movie nights and laughing at the kitchen table when Cole's food glued everyone's mouths shut, felt evil, especially since Zane had been so selfless to sacrifice himself. It didn't feel right at all.

Cole had been thinking a lot over the past month. He'd stand in the trees, cutting branches, and find himself remembering the good times; the times before everything was screwed up. It was quite the understatement to say he missed being a part of the team.

It wasn't even that he missed the team, because of course he did. And it wasn't even that, although everyone online assumed it, that he missed Nya, because he really didn't. In fact, the one person he wasn't supposed to miss was the one person he seemed to be missing the most. The one person that had been constantly on his mind - besides the late nindroid - and couldn't seem to leave.

Jay.

They'd joined the team together, trained together, learnt how to do Spinjitzu together, and now they were forced to stay apart because of what? A dumb machine? A girl? It made no sense, and the more Cole thought about it, the more stupid he felt. They used to be best friends. They used to be inseparable.

Often, on his lunch breaks, he'd find himself sitting alone, flicking through his photo gallery, staring at old pictures of the two. He never failed to shed a smile when Jay appeared. There were so many good memories hiding behind the screen, memories he wished to not forget. The absurd amount of mugshots made him giggle.

He never found it weird to be endlessly scrolling through these albums until he began feeling weird about it. Trying to ignore it was his best choice - or at least that's what he liked to believe - but it wasn't until he heard some of his co-workers muttering about the blue ninja. Cole never really bothered to listen but sometimes he couldn't help to overhear. It was pretty obvious one of them had a thing for the lightning master, but it wasn't until Cole found himself unable to disagree with their statements did he come to realise something.

It only made his endless scrolling more endless.

It'd been so long since they last saw each other. Neither of them - for good reason - had spoken in a while, or even exchanged stupid memes like they used to do. All Cole found himself thinking about was how great it would be to see him again, just to hear his dumb, annoying voice. But was it worth it? Jay didn't want to see him, it was understandable. If Cole were to even suggest it, Jay would be more angry.

Cole wasn't his friend. Not anymore.

But maybe it was worth seeing him one last time, to give himself the chance to properly say goodbye before never seeing him again. Cole wanted to apologise.

Did he still have his number? Of course. But knowing Jay, he probably changed it or blocked him. Surely it would be better to speak to him in person rather than online?

Many suggestions had come to mind but not a single one of them worked. They all ended with either Jay blocking him, hanging up, or jumping him in the street. Although, one thing that had never come to mind until now seemed to be the best option. Somewhere he couldn't be jumped or blocked. Somewhere professional.