Countless Attempts

There was a boy who went by the name Charles, he was 16 years old at the time and he would always smile to everyone he would see and he was known for how quiet and polite he was. No one actually knew about his motives or how he would interact with people because most of the time he would remain silent because he felt like people would misunderstand him and not give him a chance to talk. He was always sad about the fact that people would always treat him like shit no matter how nice and polite he was. He usually used a fake persona so people would never know what's really going on in his life and what he is going through. That way, he was always cheerful and charming with everyone cause he always thought that people deserved some positivity and some comfort in their life.

One day he received a call from an unknown number and when he picked up with a wide smile on his face, expecting that there would be someone who would talk to him in a good way. All he was able to hear is "you are one hell of a big pathetic loser that no one likes and we all hope you die in your sleep" and a bunch of laughter coming from what it sounded like a big group of people on the other end that caused him to drop his phone from shock and they hanged up.

Charles was heart broken from the way everyone was treating him on a daily basis and when he got home he went in the bathroom, sat in a corner and cried as quietly as possible so his parents wouldn't notice the pain that was going through daily. "Why do people treat me like this? Am I trying hard enough to keep everyone happy around me? I really don't know anymore" He whispered in tears, trying not to be heard by his parents and get in trouble.

After an hour, he decided to get back on his feet, wash his face in the sink with cold water and go to his room to calm down. On his way there he received a text from an unknown number saying "Listen Twerp, how about you go grab a rope, tie it around your neck and hang yourself. You should die no one cares about you. You piece of crap". he tried to ignore the text but from being so emotionally distressed, it got to him and made him feel worse than before.

He went in his room, sat on his bed, grabbed the pillow and hugged it tight with his face shoved  in it and screamed on the top of his lungs from all the pain and sadness he endured "It's just like every other day right? It will pass, I will wake up tomorrow and I will be happy again. Everyone will treat me the same way no matter how much I try to make a change or an impact to them. They will all see me the same. I wish I was DEAD" he forced a smile and broke down in tears and screams. "Why can't no one love me for who I am or even show sympathy towards me? Why do they have to do this to me and see me hurt? Where's the fun and enjoyment in all that? What did I ever do to them to deserve something like this?" he mumbled as he slowly pulled back from his pillow while his voice was shaking through his tears and the fear that he had no place in society. He without realising slowly fell asleep while tears continued running down his face. After some time passed, Charles suddenly woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rocks been thrown at his window.

Charles got up from his bed and approached the window to check what was going on outside. Before he knew it, a big rock has been thrown from the outside towards his window and he couldn't react in time when the rock hit the glass, causing him to fall back down on the ground when the window shattered in front of him. As he sat there in shock, shards from the window spread all over the room, leaving him with a cut on his face's left cheek and multiple open wounds on his left arm. "NO, PLEASE STOP!!" he screamed in fear as he put up his arms in front of him to protect himself from incoming shards or rocks. His parents came rushing in his room, finding him crawled up on the floor with the window's shards scattered all over the the room and cold wind coming in from the broken window . "Dad... Mom... I'm sorry I haven't told you anything..." he said as he burst in tears, covering his face from embarrassment not wanting his parents to see him like this. His dad rushed to look outside of the window expecting to catch the bastards who attacked his son and saw a group of high school teenagers holding rocks and tossing them around. "YOU IDIOTS, GET LOST BEFORE I COME OUT THERE AND BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU" Charles's father screamed full of anger as he ran downstairs and outside the front door to chase after them. The high schoolers did a homerun the moment they saw him disappear from the window, hearing him rush downstairs from the inside. Charles's mom took him by the hand, pulled him up from the floor and rushed downstairs. She grabbed the car's key from the kitchen's table and screamed to her husband "DAN FORGET ABOUT THEM, WE NEED TO TAKE CHARLES TO THE HOSPITAL" and went in the car with Charles, she shoved the keys in the steering wheel, started the car's engine and pulled the driver's window down as her husband approached the car from the driver's side and said "Dan get in the car right now we have to go. It's no use to chase after them, they are already far gone" to which he said "Jessica don't worry about me, I'll call the police and give them a report of the case. Now go!!" and went inside the house. Jessica stepped on the gas peddle and took the quickest route to the nearest hospital. While she was driving she said to Charles in a shaking voice "What happened up there? Why did they do this to you?" and Charles said "I don't know mom, they all hate me and nobody wants to be my friend. I never did anything to anyone to deserve this. Despite the torture they give me everyday in school, bulling me between breaks and making fun of me in class, I always forgive them because they don't know what they are doing. They are still immatures in their heads and honestly I wish I had a friend to talk to and have by my side  ". Jessica felt horrible after she heard all that and said in a demanding tone "You will never keep secrets like that from me and your father. You hear me!!" and tried to hold back tears in order to not make Charles feel worse than he was already .

When they reached the hospital they both walked through the entrance in a hurry and went on the first doctor they could find. "Please, take care of my son. His arm is heavily wounded and he lost a lot of blood". The doctor took Charles and said "Don't worry, we will take good care of him" and called for assistance to the first emergency room on that floor. A team of surgeons  rushed towards the doctor and Charles and laid Charles on bed to take him to the emergency room. After they took Charles in the emergency room and a few minutes passed, Jessica was waiting outside the emergency room as she was on the phone with Dan telling him that they arrived and that Charles was getting patched up. After an hour of stitching Charles, the doctor came out with Charles having stiches on his left cheek and bandages on his arm. "Your son's procedure was a success and all you need to keep in mind is that he shouldn't make sudden moves with his arm and keep both his face and arm away from water and dirt. Also keep in mind to change the bandages every 3 days with fresh ones so the stitched wounds don't get infected".

Jessica paid the doctor and thanked him lots for taking care of her son so quickly. After Jessica finished her conversation with the doctor, she took Charles by the hand and they both went back to the car and drove home. When they reached home, Charles looked through the car's window and saw a police car parked on the sidewalk with the officer standing in front of the car, talking to Dan outside of the house. Jessica parked the car and before she stepped out of the car Charles was already next to his dad. Jessica approached Dan and Charles and asked "What's going on here?" to which Dan said "Everything is alright you don't need to worry about it anymore." as he gave the police officer a handshake as a sign of gratitude. "If anything happens again, we'll be in touch." said the police officer as he went inside his car and drove off back to the police station. Dan turned to look at Charles and said "Those who harmed you are now wanted by the police and got what they deserve" and pulled Charles in his arms with a warm embrace. "Come on now. We must go inside, it's getting cold" he finished and took everyone inside the house, closing the front door behind him.

Once everyone got inside, Dan said "Charles, we need to talk. You can't go on like this and you need to open up and tell us what's going on to both me and your mom cause we care about you and we want you to be happy and safe from all those idiots" . Then, Jessica told Dan "Honey, it's late and Charles has already been through a lot today. We should all take some rest right now and we can discuss this tomorrow." Dan agreed with Jessica and said to Charles "Sleep well son, we will talk tomorrow." 

The next day, Jessica and Dan gathered in the kitchen to have their breakfast. While Dan was reading the newspaper, Jessica was in the back preparing breakfast until Charles was ready to come downstairs. "Charles, come downstairs, breakfast is ready!" Jessica shouted as she was serving a hot coffee to Dan and putting the food on the table. "I am coming right now mom!" Charles replied while he was wearing his shoes. He went downstairs and sat on the table with them. Dan said "Alright, eat up son. We have a lot to discuss".

END OF CHAPTER 1