2 | midair confessions | simon x markus

heya! just a lil oneshot based off this ^ comic, made by the wonderful eafrns on tumblr! their simarkus art is literally my entire LIFE - it is soft and adorable and makes me want to C R Y . i strongly reccomend checking them out.

i'm not exactly happy with the first quarter but that's okay. my writing doesn't always have to turn out like i want it :')
constructive criticism is much appreciated, as is pointing out any spelling/grammar errors !
love yall and thank you so much for reading! <333

genre: angst & fluff

word count: 1700

"I can't move my legs," Simon says, faintly, weakly, and Markus's world comes crashing down around him.

He can't lose Simon. He can't. Not now, as the weight of Simon's worth to him crashes into him like a freight train. Not before he tells him how he feels.

He can't

lose

Simon.

"Ok, don't worry. We're going to get you back," he says but it's as if somebody else is in control as he forces a smile on to his face and strides over to the others.

"They're coming, Markus! We have to jump, now!" cries North. The objective flashes up before his vision, devastating in its simplicity: DEAL WITH SIMON.

"He won't be able to make the jump," Josh says. He reaches out and grasps Markus's shoulder, eyes filled with pain, with understanding that makes Markus want to scream. "If they find him, they'll access his memory. They'll know everything."

"We can't leave him behind." North's pretty features are set with steely determination. "We have to shoot him."

"No!" Markus cries out. Josh tilts his head at him. "No," he repeats. "I won't kill one of our own."

I won't kill the one I love.

"Then we have to leave him behind," says Josh. Said so gently, yet it feels like his biocomponents are being mauled and set alight inside him.

Markus strides over to Simon. Crouches down next to him. Simon looks so small and terrifyingly mortal like this - collapsed against a wall, brightly-coloured wires exposed and ripped to shreds, thirium leaking from countless wounds. It pools around him like some kind of morbid painting. Swirls and freezes into the snow. Their blood might be a different colour to humans', but he'll bleed out and die without help like any of them would.

"Simon," he says, desperately willing his voice not to crack, "we have to go, I'm sorry."

He outstretches his arm, gun in shaking hand for Simon to take, but he just gazes at him with those pretty blue eyes. Completely devoid of the hope and warmth that've been constant since the moment Markus crashed into Jericho and locked eyes with him in the darkness.
Since the moment Markus realised there could be life for him after the death of Carl.

Simon stares at him with those beautiful eyes and he cracks.

"I can't leave him," he says, standing back up.

"Markus, I know it's hard but we have to go-"

"Just shoot him, Markus!-"

"GO!" he bellows. Josh jerks back, eyes flashing with shock and hurt and that horrific understanding. North's face contorts, with rage, or frustration, or even sorrow- Markus can't tell, doesn't have time to care. "Just- go. You don't need to risk your lives too."