𝐈.

𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐈

"𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧... 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞."

Danielle shivered as Budd spoke to Bill. The cigarette in her hand was burning low to embers. She tapped them onto the floor, letting out a low breath.

"And..." Budd continued, "... we deserve to die."

Maybe he was right about that but the thought still terrified Danielle more than she cared to admit. What they all- what everyone else- had done, that was the worst thing she could ever imagine. Beatrix hadn't deserved any of it. Running off, falling in love- at least, that's how it appeared- getting pregnant, that didn't warrant the beating she got, nor did it warrant a gunshot to the head.

She hadn't even gotten a quick death. A four-year coma had come of it, and all for what, now? She was back. She was angry.

She was looking for revenge, and Budd was damn right, she deserved it after everything.

Two gone already and that left only three more. O-Ren killed at the House of the Blue Leaves and Vernita murdered in her own home, right in front of her four-year-old daughter.

Oh, the goddamn irony of it all.

Danielle figured she and Budd would be next. Two for the price of one, that's an unbeatable deal. She would try as hard as she could, but she supposed it might have just been easier if she laid down and died. 

She was out of practice, anyway, even with the two glinting blades that hung on the wall over the kitchen sink.

Bill had come to tell them the merry news. Knocking at the door of the trailer, a solemn look in his eyes.

Danielle was leaning against the back wall of the trailer, listening to Bill speak. Budd stood before his older brother in the doorway, stunned.

"You're tellin' me she cut through eighty-eight bodyguards 'fore she got to O-Ren?" he asked.

"Nah, there wasn't really eighty-eight of 'em," Bill answered. "They just call themselves 'The Crazy Eighty-Eight.'"

"How come?" Budd asked.

"I don't know. I guess they thought it sounded cool."

Budd actually chuckled at that. Danielle behind him rolled her eyes, taking a drag off of the cigarette.

"Anyhow, they all fell under her Hanzo sword," Bill said.

"She has a damn Hanzo sword?" Danielle spoke up.

"He made one for her," answered Bill.

"He swore a blood oath," Danielle said. "He swore to never make another sword. Ever."

Bill nodded faintly. "It would appear he has broken it."

Budd decided to speak up next. "Them Japs sure know how to hold a grudge, don't they?" he had said with a laugh. "Or maybe... you just tend to bring that out in people." He looked at his brother with a faint smile.

Bill let out a sigh. "I know this is a ridiculous question before I ask it, but you haven't, by any chance, kept up with your... swordplay?" he asked Budd.

Budd shook his head, taking a drink from the beer bottle in his hand. "I, um... I pawned that years ago."

"You hocked a Hatori Hanzo sword?" Bill demanded, anger growing.

"I told him not to," Danielle spoke up. "I told him, Bill. He tried to do the same with my knives, I stopped him. I tried to make him keep the damn sword." It was a lie, really, and Danielle knew that, but it was easiest to go along with Budd when he was making shit up.

"But I did it," Budd said with a small shrug.

"It was priceless," Bill stated.

Budd let out a laugh, adjusting his hat. "Well, not in El Paso, it ain't." He kept laughing as he continued, "In El Paso, I got me two hundred and fifty dollars for it." He shook his head. "I'm a bouncer in a titty bar, Bill. Dani works with me. If she wants to fight with us, all she's gotta do is come down to the club and start some shit, and we'll be in a fight."

Bill nodded, taking a step forward, leaning against the trailer door with one hand. "I know we haven't spoken in some time, and the last time we spoke wasn't the most pleasant, but you've got to get over being mad at me and start becoming afraid of Beatrix. Because she is coming, and she's coming to kill both you and Danielle." Danielle swallowed hard as Bill continued. "And, unless you accept my assistance, I have no doubt she will succeed."

Budd hesitated a long moment. "I don't dodge guilt," he finally said, "and I don't jew out of paying my comeuppance."

"Can't we just... forget the past?"

"That woman... deserves her revenge. And... we deserve to die." And then Budd let out a laugh. "But, then again, so does she. So I guess we'll just see. Won't we?"

Danielle's heart caught in her throat. Her eyes drifted to her knives.

"You keep up with 'em, Danielle?" Bill asked, his eyes moving to her.

"No," she answered, swallowing hard. "Never thought I'd have to. I'll practice 'til she comes back. Whatever happens, happens."

Bill gave a stiff nod. "Good idea," he said. "A word of advice you, don't give her any warning. She's not inclined to give you that courtesy."

Danielle offered a weak attempt at a smile.

"I'll do my best, Bill. That's all I can promise."

He turned to leave, but she swallowed harshly and spoke, "Bill?"

"Yes, Danielle?" he answered.

"I'm pregnant."

He nodded stiffly.

"Maybe she'll give you the courtesy we didn't give her."