𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.

𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

"𝐈 𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬."

Danielle and Beatrix stood side by side beneath the burning sun. They didn't look at each other. Instead, Danielle looked at the sky, breathing heavily, while Beatrix's eyes were glued to the ground. "You gonna kill me now?" Danielle asked, taking a breath as she wiped blood from her face. "I'd understand if you did."

She still didn't meet Beatrix's eyes. "I am sorry. Really. For everything that happened." A tear rolled down her cheek. She didn't wipe it away.

Elle's cries carried outside. Neither of them paid them much mind.

"Are you really pregnant?" Beatrix asked. The question rang out in the tense silence.

A shiver went down Danielle's spine.

"Yeah. Thirteen weeks along."

"You don't look it."

"Budd says..." She swallowed harshly. "...said... Budd said the same. I'm too skinny, right?" She managed a weak laugh. "He doesn't... didn't..."

"Take your time," Beatrix said.

Danielle laughed despite herself, shaking her head as she thought of Budd, dead on the kitchen floor. "He didn't know shit about any of that."

Beatrix nodded along. 

Danielle's eyes were full with tears, but she just shook her head, biting hard at her lip. "I, uh, I think it might be a boy. I don't know for certain yet. Budd was convinced it's a girl. It's funny, really, how we both saw all the same things but thought differently. I was gonna be all smug if it ended up being a boy. I can't... guess I can't do that, anymore."

She laughed weakly, running her fingers through her hair, holding back tears. "I'm ramblin'," she said, looking at Beatrix finally, only to find that Beatrix was looking right back. "So how's this gonna go? Some big fight? Or should I just give up now?"

"I'm not gonna kill you, Dani," Beatrix said. "You didn't want to be there that day. You tried to stop Budd, I saw you. And you're pregnant, and I'm not that cruel."

Danielle let her tears run free then. She wanted to actually hug Beatrix, but that didn't seem like a great idea. So she just managed a weak smile and said, "Thank you."