𝐗.

𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐗

"𝐁.𝐁., 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝?"

Danielle was sat on the living room couch, leaning over the back as she watched Bill make a sandwich for B.B., who sat on a barstool before him. Budd's sword sat on the couch beside Danielle. "Yes, I do," B.B. answered her father, grinning.

Beatrix was sat in a stool of her own, watching her child with a smile.

"Matter of fact, it's better than pretty," Bill continued. He looked to B.B. and asked, "What's better than pretty?"

"Mmm..." B.B. tapped at her cheek, deep in thought. "Gorgeous," she decided.

"Very good," said Bill. "Gorgeous. Mommy is gorgeous."

His eyes fell to Beatrix as he said to B.B., "Hmm. You know, sweetie, mommy's kinda mad at daddy. I'd imagine Aunt Dani is, too."

"Why, daddy?" B.B. asked, curiosity piqued. "Were you being a bad daddy?"

"I'm afraid I was. I was a real bad daddy." He looked at Beatrix. "Our little girl learned about life and death the other day." He looked to B.B. next. "Wanna tell mommy about what happened to Emilio?"

"I killed him," said B.B., entirely honest.

"Emilio was her goldfish," Bill elaborated.

"Emilio was my goldfiss," B.B. agreed.

Bill chuckled. "She came running into my room, holding the fish in her hand and crying, 'Daddy! Daddy! Emilio's dead.' And I said, 'Really? That's so sad. How did he die?'" He looked at B.B. as he handed her her sandwich. "And what did you say?"

"I stepped on him," she answered.

"Actually, young lady, the words you so strategically used were 'I accidentally stepped on him.'"

She nodded, and so, Bill continued, pulling out bread to make another sandwich, "To which I queried, 'And just how did your foot accidentally find its way into Emilio's fishbowl?' And she said, 'No, no, no. Emilio was on the carpet when I stepped on him.' Mm. The plot thickens. 'And just how did Emilio get on the carpet?' And, mommy, you would've been so proud of her." He chuckled. "She didn't lie." B.B. shook her head. Danielle watched the couch, listening intently. "She said she took Emilio out of his bowl and put him on the carpet. And what was Emilio doing on the carpet?"