Nine

Elijah POV

I could hardly believe my ears, after what Malice just told me. My sister, found dead in her dorm room.

Suicide...

I mean, she was suicidal, but she wouldn't go as far as to committing suicide, would she? Why didn't she come speak to me about it?

...was she compelled?

And what the hell should I tell my mother? She'd probably disown me for not taking better care of my sister.

Luckily for me, Malice and I have a whole entire boarding school at our feet. She's wealthy, I'm basically the prince of the school, so there's that.

I shift my weight so Malice doesn't fall from my bed. Her uncle gave me charge of taking care of her. I'm protective, and I ended up giving Lavin a bloody nose and a broken arm. Bloody werewolves. Think they own the place. Malice fidgets a little, making me chuckle and pat her head.

It's then I hear it. The sudden sound of bones cracking. The drugs that replaced Malice's usual Fentanyl, Krokodil, are apparently coming into effect. Her shoulder is currently jutted backward, in a position that it really shouldn't be in.

"This'll hurt, Alice..." Her response is laced with pain. This is obviously painful. "L-like it'll hurt any less if it's n-not put back into place..!" Her voice is a soft hiss as she bites into the sleeve of a sweater I lent her. Despite my fear of hurting her, I need to help. Any way possible.

Without a word, I take a hold of her shoulder and manage to yank it back into place with a quiet-sort of loud pop. She doesn't scream, but she shuts her eyes.

She opens them again, blinking back tears. "That actually wasn't all that painful ..." I shrug. "I didn't feel a thing." She chuckles, swatting my arm and hugging me. "Shut up. Don't be a smartass." Her voice is quiet. "You're no fun, you know." I then look at the time. 9am. "We should probably head down to the cafeteria ... Do you need help walking, or not?" She purses her lips, then nods. "Yeah, I'd appreciate that..." Really, I feel like making her regret agreeing to my help.

Malice glares at me. "Don't you dare, Eli. You'd embarrass me." I smirk. "That's the point, isn't it? I could even ... make you beg me for it." At that, her face goes red. "N-NO! J-ust... don't carry me like that. Just helping me walk would be fine." I find her so cute when she's flustered. I lean over and kiss her forehead. "Relax. I wasn't actually going to." She narrows her eyes. "I will seriously slap you, Elijah." My smug smirk returns. "Go ahead, try it. Like it'll do anything."

She exhales, before raising her hand and trying to hit me. Far before she can land a hit, I take a hold of her wrist. Using this to my advantage, I pull her forward. Enough just so that she's sitting in my lap.

Now it really doesn't feel like I'm screwing around. Malice thinks so, just by the look on her face.

She's a blushing mess, and she's staring at me with a: Save this for the dorm. Not here. look. I raise an eyebrow in question; Tonight, or not? She purses her lips and nods. "Let's just... get to the cafeteria." I blow stray bits of her hair back, tucking her hair back behind her ears.

Easily enough, I help her up and get both of us to the cafeteria without any troubles. Well, almost without any troubles. The very second we step into the cafeteria, people start asking questions, such as; "What happened?" or "Are you okay, Malice?" and even, "Hopefully you get better soon. You best take care of her and not hurt her, Elijah." I shake my head in disbelief, a small noise leaving my throat. It sounded as if I was clearing it to maintain my composure, but really, I'm just trying to get them away. That manages to disperse half the crowd. As if he thought that I need help, another boy, at least 17 to 18, 6'9" steps up. "Okay, everyone. Give the girl her space! For as far as you know, she's okay right now!" That manages to disperse the others. The boy turns to us. Now that he's speaking directly to us, I can hear how naturally deep his voice is. "Are you guys okay?" Malice nods. "We're fine, Raven. Thanks anyway." A smile appears on the boys' lips. Raven, as Malice addressed him. I tilt my head down a bit, just to mutter to Malice. "How do you know him? I thought you didn't know anyone else besides everybody here..." Malice nibbles a little on my bottom lip before answering. "Raven's another friend of mine."

I raise my eyebrows at this. "What's with you and mostly having guys as friends?" She sighs. "I have the odd one or two girlfriends here and there. And by one or two, I mean a lot. Not just one or two, if you get what I mean." I nod.

She then practically grabs my arm and drags me to a table with a circle of boys and girls. One of the girls has white hair and looks about four. The other has white hair with a light red fade to it, looking 18 at most. The pure-whited hair girl gets up at the sight of Malice, runs up, and hugs her. Malice returns the gesture, almost immediately picking the girl up.

"You alright, Alice? I heard what happened." The other girl asks, to which Malice responds; "I'm fine, Yuki. I just need to be careful, that's all." The girl in her arms whines. "And I guess Valerie here may need to be careful with what she does around me."

She then puts Valerie down, taking a seat beside Raven, me taking the empty space beside her. In my quick-to-come boredom, I fiddle with a small string of Malice's fishnet thigh-highs. Her face is gradually growing red before she grabs my wrist, forcing me to stop. "Oh, come on! I was having fun~" To my surprise, she turns my way, tilts her head upward, takes hold of my shoulders and kisses me ... in the middle of the cafeteria!

When she pulls away, she speaks. "We've got basketball trials this afternoon. Save it for this evening." She adds, voice a whisper.

"I forgot you both play basketball. He plays both basketball and baseball. You play basketball on its own, right, Malice?"

That was Poppy. The French-born girl. Wait ... isn't she the girls' team captain?

"Yeah. Unless I want my bones to give me a helluva lotta pain, I better go."

And without eating anything.