Chapter 1 - Something to Lose

It's good to be afraid. It means you have something to lose, right? That there is still something or someone tying you down to this very earth.. Causing you to go through every hardship the life we face has to throw at you. Life is short after all and it sucks all of that time, right? I took in a deep breath as I pushed open the next door lifting my gun up high as I raced into what appeared to be a living room. I checked every corner then let out a sigh. There was nothing worst than doing home checks. I am constantly scared at any second one of those things will be there ready to destroy me. The ones who use to be people. I hadn't decided upon a good name for them yet. "CLEAR!" I heard come from the second level of this British home. 

I lowered my gun and walked to the stair way. The boy stood at the very top with a sly smile on his dirt covered face. "I have a surprise for you." He said causing my eyebrows to wrinkle up in confusion. "What is that?" I asked giving a weak laugh as he walked off without answering me. "Newt!" I hallowed after him. As I raced up the stair case and began searching the rooms to find where he had gone. I paused hearing the strange sound. Water. I spun around to see him leaning in the threshold of what appears to be a bathroom. I walked forward in a daze as he stepped back to let me pass. I watched as the shower water beat down. "Running water." I said hearing how dry my voice sounded. Newt slipped around me as he put one leg over the tub and climbed inside fully dressed in his jeans and T-shirt that still had a rip under his shoulder blade. He let the water run over his hair and hit him right in the face clearing off the dirt and dust from the outdoors. 

"Come on!" He shouted shaking his head sending drops of water flying across the bathroom. I walked forward slowly and climbed inside with him as I laughed feeling the warm water hit my dressed body. The water began to soak into my long brown hair as I raised my hand up to run my fingers through it. When did our lives become like this. Newt moved closer as he leaned over me letting the water rush over both of us. Where we have to take showers in a strange bloke's house with clothes on because you never know when danger may accrue. I leaned my head back resting against Newt's chest as I let the water run over my face trying to clean off the muck but the warmth seemed to push me back into a past memories.  

"You'll never keep up!" The boy shouted over his shoulder as he raced ahead I could feel how tight my lungs were trying to keep up with him. The sun beating down on our backs as we raced through town. He came to a  sudden stop in front of his home as I slid right into him. I bent over and started gasping for air. "NOT FAIR!" I shouted and we both busted out laughing. "Newton!" His mothers voice called very firm but with an edge of love. We both looked up to see her standing on the front steps of their small British home. "What did I say about racing." She whispered shaking her head then waving us in. I remember Newt bumping me with his elbow before giving a wink as he raced inside. "Are you coming too, Aaliyah?" She called out to me. I took in a breath knowing I had no family waiting for me or a warm dinner. "I better get going." I Shouted back and she folded her arms giving me the same look she gives both her children. "Come along." She said and I smiled knowing I wouldn't only get more time with Newt but food for the night. I raced up the steps to both their loving smiles.  

"What are you two doing?" The voice made me jump as it snapped me back to reality. I turned to see the small ten year old standing in the door way staring at us. "Just bloody get in. No questions asked." Newt said waving him over and sitting down in the tub as he closed his eyes. I laughed and did the same as I took a seat beside him in the crowed space. My jeans were completely soaked but I never wanted to leave this warm water.The tall skinny boy rolled his eyes as if he were a teenager now and stomped over climbing into the tub to join us. He let out a sigh of relief as the water hit him and washed all his dirt away. I watched the brown water from us swirl and swirl before dropping down the drain.  

"Oh hun. Can you not stay for a while longer?" His mother asked after stuffing me full of turkey and any food she could find in their small house. "Thank you so much. Really but I better get going. If I don't make it across town in time I won't have a bed to sleep on." I said referring to the homeless shelter. "Stay here then. Sleep in my bed... I'll Sleep on the couch." Newt protested as he blocked the open door trying to keep me from leaving. I laughed "I can not do that. You've all helped me too much tonight." I confessed and tried to make it past them. "Please." I paused and looked over my shoulder to see Nate, Newt's ten year old brother standing at the bottom of the stairs. They all felt like my family and to hear Nate beg when he normally could careless made my heart squeeze. I smiled looking back to Newt before I could answer there was a blood curdling scream that made every hair on my body stand straight up.  

Newt put an arm around me pulling me against his chest so he could rest his head on top of mine. "Too bad we can't just stay here forever." I smiled at the idea and ran my hand against the water that was racing for the drain seeing it become more clear the longer we showered. "Forever yes. Not in a shower though." Nate said as he leaned back against the shower wall as he held his hand out for the water to run on. "Maybe if we board up the place we can stay the night." He said almost asking I let out a sigh feeling how scared my throat was. "No. But one day... One day we can rest. You know they are drawn to empty homes to rest in." Newt answered sounded much older than he really was. I closed me eyes as I was pulled back into the memory.  

Together the four of us turned to face out the open door. To see a Women standing in the street. It appeared that half her hair had been pulled out and she was shaking like she was Ill but it was very clear that horrific scream came from her. Newt moved to put his hand out to push us more inside the house. "Newton." HIs mother said pawing his hand away. "This Lady appears to need our help." The graceful mother stepped forward walking out of the home to stand on the front porch. "Hello?! Can we help you?" The crazed Women turned and stared us down her eyes looked blood shot and she appeared to have a mad look in her eyes. "I think we should call the police." I whispered softly and then the Women charged forward and tackled Newt's mother to the floor. Clawing at her and spitting blood right in the wonderful Women's face. "MUM!" Newt screamed and raced forward as I stood frozen.  

There was a loud clanking noise that made all of us freeze. It took me a moment to decided if it was in my memories or really happening. "Shh. Get up slowly." Newt words were hot against my ear as we slowly rose up and all three of us crawled out of the bathtub. Newt walked in front of us as he scooped up his gun off the bathroom counter top. We walked slow towards the house as Nate's hand grabbed my arm out of fear. We had been surviving in this chaos the world had left us in for almost a month now. Even now none of us was prepared to face another one of the crazed humans. Would we ever be? Would there be a day that came when all of this was normal. 

Suddenly a man crashed into the wall at the bottom of the stair case like a wild animal he looked up to us. He had blood all over the front of his body. "Kill me. Kill me." He begged as he shook and then banged his head against the wall as if to silence his own words. I felt my breath catch as I looked back to Nate. "Go." I whispered but he only stood there. "Why." He muttered. "Don't want me to watch another one die?" He asked and before I could answer Newt shot the gun as the man raced for us. It's good to be afraid. It means you have something left to lose.