Chapter 5 - Did you say it? I love you

Did you say it? I love you, I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life. Did you say it? Because every now and then just stop and look around. Drink it in because this is it. It may all be gone by tomorrow. I sucked in air as I looked back over my shoulder to Derrick who was walking off without me not saying a single word. Something urged me to follow, but I turned back around and cashed after my childhood best friend. Newt looked over to see me beside him. I could see his lip twitch into a smile and I didn't know why he was even worried. I'd always choose him over anyone in this world. "Man is a wanker." Nate said crossing his arms as we walked. "I believe him. What if he does almost have a cure?" I asked but Newt kept scouting out places for us to hide and sleep in. "He wants to play dare devil and risk his life. Let him but we have each other." Newt said glanceing over to me and for a moment I thought his cheeks were red. He quickly looked away. "We just have to stay alive until help comes." 

The sun peeking through the boarded up windows was what woke me. I stretched trying to wake up as I looked up to see Newt watching me. I had fallen asleep beside him using his legs as pillows. "Morning." He said with a smile that could light up any dark day. "Good morning." I said sitting up as I ran my fingers through my hair. Nate was still past out. "I'll wake him soon... He is so peaceful though. I hate having to wake him." Newt said lovely as he watched his younger brother. I elbowed him playfully. "Hey, you know what today is?!" He rolled his eyes. "It's your birthday!" I said poking his ribs. He laughed and reached over tickling my sides in return. We laughed and I tried to sing happy birthday but he kept tickling me. Suddenly he let out a sigh and leaned back. I knew living in this crappy new lfe really brough him down. 

"I wish I had a gift to give you." Looked down at my feet as I leaned back against the wall. He looked over at me and grinned. "You know what I would want." I laughed shaking my head at his words. Every year he wanted the same thing. "It's not even a gift... I don't know why you enjoy that... I'm not any good." This time he poked my rib. I let out another laugh then nodded my head. "Fine! I'll sing for you." I believe if the flare hadn't broke out... That If I was handed another life I would be some type of professional singer but I guess we take the hand we are dealed. 

"I remember tears streaming down you face, when I said, "I'll never let you go" When all those shadows almost killed your light. I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone" But all that's deadand gone and passed tonight." I looked over to see he had closed his head and was tapping his foot. I grinned and kept at it. "Just close your eyes the sun is going down you'll be alright no one can hurt you now." I took in a deep breath as I looked back to the boarded up windows. "Don't you dare look out your window, darling, everything's on fire the war outside our door keeps raging on hold on to this lullaby even when music's gone. You and i'll be safe and sound." 

When the last lyrics were out Newt's eyes were locked with mine. He leaned forward and my heart began to race. The air around me felt so different and I could feel his breath against my face. Newt's eyes began to close as he looked at my lips then back to my eyes. "Newt.." I whispered his name just before his lips softly touched mine. You always hear stories about children growing up together then falling in love, but this was different. Newt is my everything. His hand found my face and was so gentle as he traced my skin. I had never kissed anyone before so I wasn't prepared for how breathless this was. How truely magical it was. Newt's lips moved against mine and my heart kept beating as if it wanted to brust out of my chest just to be closer to him. 

'Uh." It was Nate's voice that caused us both to jump. My whole face felt like it was on fire as I quickly leaned away pushing my back flat against the wall. While my mind raced out of control. I peeked over to see how red Newt's face was as well. "Just shut up." Newt said to his brother who began laughing. Newt stood up grabbing his pack. "Come on lets get a move on." I stood up and our eyes locked again. I smiled at him feeling my heart squeeze. Was this what true love felt like? 

We carefully rounded each turn making sure to do a full scan before walking out into the next street. We were so low on food and our stomachs had been growing the whole time. It was do or die we couldn't turn up empty handed again. "Two more blocks and we will check the old restruant to see if it hasn't been picked over. Nate do you still have any water left in your pac-" Newt's words were cut off by the errie sound of buzzing that started out soft and slowly got louder and louder. Newt arm was around me as he pushed me back against a wall his other hand had his brother's shirt as he tried to get us as close to the brick wall as possible. It was then I could make out the noise. A helicopter. 

I leaned forward trying to see up to the sky but Newt only put his body in front of me pushing me back. "Stay back." He said looking up towards the sky as well though. "Why are we hiding, that could be help?" Nate asked wanting to run into the street. "I have a bad feeling." Newt said softly, "Listen. If this place is suppose to be a full outbreak, which we've seen for our selves it is. Who ever is flying that isn't for a rescue... more than likely to fight or destory these cranks. I don't need them thinking we are one of them." I knew he was really smart but still even after all these years I was surpised how well he thought things out. The only problem was the heliopters blades were so loud and close. It wasn't until I could physically see it landing did I every hair on my body stand up. Newt step forward trying to hide and sheild both of us from who ever was on that Helipoter. The blades slowly stopped spinning but the sound it made echoing off the walls was horrible. 

The choppers door slid open and I could see a blonde women in what looked like some business suit step out and land. She held her hair as if she was afraid of the winds messing it up. This women looked so out of place in this horrible city. She looked up at us and I felt my heart skip a beat. Newt was right I had a bad feeling. "HELLO!" She called out over the loud sounds of the blades and she began walking towards us. I could see Newt's muscles on his arm felxing with fear as the women got closer. Finally the helipoter had stopped. "You must be Newton?" She asked reaching her hand out for him to shake. 

My blood felt like ice hearing her say his name. "H-how do you know me?" Newt asked harshly. The women let out a sigh. "There isn't much time. I can explain more once we are in the air. You are very special Newton." I hated hearing his name come out of her mouth I walked forward until I was right behind Newt. "You will save the world and bring an end to this horrible outbreak." She said very sure of her words. "How do you know me." Newt repeated even harsher than before. "We have known of you and several others for a very long time. Like I said you are very special, but I need you to hurry and come with me." 

Newt looked back at me and I knew instatlly just but seeing his eyes. He was afraid. "Fine. We will come with you." He said looking back to her but the women's facial emotions had changed. "I am afraid to say we can only take you with-" He cut her off. "Then you better leave." Newt said. "Newton. I know this is hard but you can save not only the ones you love but all of the world. This is very hard to take on all at once... I understand but you must come with us." Newt went to protest but Nate spoke up. "You should go." He whispered Newt and I both turned to look at him. "You'll be safe were ever it is you go and if you can really put an end to this.... I think you should go." It felt like someone had punched a hole in my heart. Newt looked to me know and every part of me wanted to be selfish. Except I thought of him safe somewhere far away. I looked past him to the women. 

"You promise he will be safe? That no harm will come to him?" I asked feeling how hard the words were to say. The women smiled and something about her made me want to just hit her in the face. "Of course. We only wish to put a stop to this and save as many as we can. WICKED's only goal is to find the cure and end the flare." I nodded my head slowly taking in the new word she said. I looked back to Newt knowing he was waiting for my decsion. "You should go." Those three words never hurt me worst. I could feel my eyes begin to water. Newt pulled me into his arms squeezing me close. "I will find you again." He whispered as he softly kissed my cheek "Keep my brother safe." He said as he reached out hugging his brother now as he said his goodbyes. I could feel my own world falling to pieces under my feet. "We must go Newton. Lots to do." The women said placing a hand on his shoulder as she guided him away. Newt walked ahead but keep looking back as he watched us. The helicopter blades came back to life and I felt my heart squeeze again. I knew I had to keep it together. 

Nate took a few steps forward tears already running down his face I reached out pulling him into my arms as together we watched Newt climb aboard.  I raced forward as the helipcopter rose up into the air. "I LOVE YOU!" I screamed but Newt was looking down at us but I knew the sounds of the blades spinning ate my words. Did you say it? I love you, I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life. Did you say it? Because every now and then just stop and look around. Drink it in because this is it. It may all be gone by tomorrow..