Chapter 7 - Can't stay the same

It's one of those things people say. You can't move on until you let go of the past. Letting go is the easy part, it is the moving on that's painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same as we cling to our past. Things can't stay the same though. At some point you just have to let it go, because no matter how painful it is, its only way we will move to the next chapter. "Nate!" I screamed out through the crowd as I pushed my way to him. I had brand new clothes that I found in the shower area, it appeared that who ever was running this place just moved store clothes to there. Probable to help people from walking around in bloody, ripped up clothes that Nate and I showed up in. Who ever was in charge here wanted to hide any signs of the dangers outside. 

Nate smiled big seeing me and ran over to stand beside me. He took stood in fresh new clothes and jeans that were too long for him. "Come on let's see if we can't find somewhere to sleep." I said throwing an arm around him causally but honestly I wanted him close. I don't trust a single person here and Newt trusted me to take care of his young brother and that is excatally what I plan to do. We worked are way around the giant mall until we finally found an area that had been cleared out and had tons of bed scattered all over the place. I stood there in shock of how many beds there was. "Hi there! How is your super fantastic day going today?!" 

I jumped back when the petite girl stepped out right in front of us. Her hair was a bright red that caused her soft green eyes to pop. "Excuse me?" I asked feeling anxious again as I pulled on Nate's sleeve to get him behind me. "Your day how is it?" She asked her hyper mood not dropping a beat. "Uh. I am worn out. I don't have time for this..." I said as I tried to walk pass her. "Whoa Whoa slow down buttercup!" I gave her a glare when she used a pet name which caused her to hold up her hands in defense. "You have to sign in to use the beds." She said her green eyes looking over to a small stand that stood beside us. "It's just protocol. Then you can skip on to your happy dreams." 

I felt my eye twitch at how happy she was, something about how calm and cheery everyone was here only upset me more. I took the pen and wrote down two made up names then put my arm over Nate to lead him pass her. "Have a super duper day!" She said and it snapped something inside of me. I spun around pushing my face right in front of hers. "I will never. Ever. Have a super duper day again in my life. I watched the women who was the closest thing I had to a parent die due to a crazed crank. My best friend in this whole world got on a helicopter to go save this horrible world and you are just standing here babbling about happiness while more people die outside." I felt Nate tug on my arm to calm me down. The women stood there with her mouth in a O form and those stupid green eyes were so wide. I rolled my eyes and walked off with Nate to find a place to sleep. Everyone who was around us was busy staring us down with horrified faces. As if I was some type of bad guy for talking the truth. 

"She was annoying." Nate whinnied and I let out a sigh as we found an empty bed I threw myself down letting the soft padding relax my muscles and nerves. Nate did the same then looked over at me with his eye brows pushed together. "Do you think she has seen a crank?" Nate asked I rolled to my side so I could look a thin better. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well it's just that everyone here acts like nothing bad is even happening." 

I took in a deep breath knowing I had been thinking the same thing but I didn't want to say it. "I think they are just trying to look on the bright side of thing. After all we are safe now." I said pushing some of his brown hair off his forehead. "I shouldn't have yelled at her... It wasn't nice." I informed Nate then rolled on my back again closing my eyes. "You think we won't see... Him again." Nate asked and I could tell it hurt to much for him to say Newt's name. "Yes. I know we will see him again." I smiled and let the darkness take me away to dreamland. 

"AALIYAH!" It was Newt's voice who screamed my name. I was racing around this empty city for what felt like hours now. Every turn I took left or right It didn't matter everything was the same. It was as if I was stuck in a time loop. "AALIYAH!" Newt's voice screamed again as It had for the past hours. My body was dripping in sweat and I was breathless as I came to a stop to try and catch my breathe. "AALIYAH!" I threw back my head and let out a scream of anger. He sounded so close but no matter how hard I ran I coudln't find him. "Just stop!!" I yelled out. 

"Aaliyah." I felt the hairs on my back stand up as I spun around to see him standing in the street now with me. Newt has blood running down his face, his dark eyes were as wild as a wolf's, and he was shaking. "N-newt?" I whispered and he reached his hand up scratching at his ear as if my voice hurt him. "Newt it's you! It's really you!" I screamed out with joy and took a step towards him only to freeze hearing him making a growling sound. Newt's lip curled up in discust. "You did this." He yelled spit and blood flying off his mouth with each word. "N-newt..." I whispered softly as my heart sank knowing what was wrong with him. "I hate you." Newt yelled out as he charged me like a while bull with pure hate and hunger in his eyes. 

Just before Newt could collide with me I sat straight up in the bed laced in sweat. I grabbed my chest were my heart should be as I took in deep breaths trying to slow down my heart rate. "Just a dream." I whispered softly. I looked over to comfort Nate knowing I must be scaring him only to find the bed completely empty. "Nate.." I whispered then looked around to find all the beds around me were empty. No... That can't be... There had to have been almost sixty people here when I fell asleep. I jumped to my feet as I spun around in a circle. "NATE!!!" I screamed out in panic only to freeze hearing sudden footsteps coming from the entrance.

I spun around to face the doors I entered in at. The red haired women was no longer there in her place stood a man who was balding. "H-hello.." I whispered as I took a step forward only to stop. It was as if my heart completely skipped a beat as I stared at the man who's hands and mouth were covered in blood. He began shaking just as Newt had in my dream. He is a crank. It's one of those things people say. You can't move on until you let go of the past. Letting go is the easy part, it is the moving on that's painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same as we cling to our past. Things can't stay the same though. At some point you just have to let it go, because no matter how painful it is, its only way we will move to the next chapter.