Chapter 9 - More than we can bare.

A wise man once said, 'You can have anything in life if you sacrifice everything else for it.' What he meant is, nothing come without a price so before you go into a battle you better decide how much your willing to lose. Of course the toughest sacrifices are the ones we don't see coming. That is when the sacrifice turns out to be more than we can bare. We become shattered. Derrick slid down the closed door as he huffed for air. "I can't figure you out. Are you stupid, or a hero." He asked as he rolled his eyes. I thought about saying something smart but nothing came to mind.

"Shh... Tess..." I whispered to the small child who was still howling and crying while her twin brother sat very still only his eyes darting around the room. I looked over to Derrick now, "You would have done the same." I said as I rubbed Tess on the back. "No.. I don't believe I would have." Derrick said picking up that box from before as he ran his hand over nurturing it like I was Tess. "Oh but if it would have been your stupid box you would have." I said feeling my anger rise even though I wasn't even mad at Derrick. I owed him my life now. 

"This stupid box" Derrick said using air quotes with his hands. "Will save this whole world. It will end this flare and bring humanity back to normal." I laughed now shaking my head as I gave up on calming Tess and moved to checking over my wounds. "Normal. And what is that Doctor Derrick!" 

I could see Derrick's dimples as he grinned even in the dark I could see them. "Normal is the life we desire." I sat very still letting his words soak over me. "Whatever. I need to get back in there. Can you take care of them for a hour maybe even two-" Derrick cut me off as he grabbed my shoulder shaking me. "Did you hit your head when those cranks were trying to eat you!" I said in such anger but  didn't yell it. Which made me wonder if he ever really yells or just uses that tone. "I saved these kids because it was the right thing to do. I have a promise with the man I am in love with that I will keep his brother alive through this horrible world. Until your damn box puts it back to normal." I said air quoting the last word to mimic him. "That is exactly what I plan to do!" I screamed at him not afraid to raise my voice. 

Derrick's grin was back as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Your one stubborn women you know that!" He said and I felt a blush hit my face. I was still young and to think of myself as a women made me feel weird I rolled my eyes as I stood up rolling my shoulders as I prepared to head back into that madness. "Your not going alone." Derrick said and I looked down at him then back to the toddlers. "Oh? Are you and the babies coming to protect me?" I laughed and shook my head. "No. But my team and me will." I looked down at him confused and he pointed off into the darkness. I squinted and could see something move across the empty space. When Derrick's whistle made me jump and as a signal the figures raced across the empty space for us. 

I was shocked to see the group of people meet us. One girl and three guys that looked just as beat up as me. I turned to look back at Derrick confused. He waved his hand at them, "Found them on the road and that one." He said pointed to the guy, "Told me about this lovely place said we could rest up before we take off and once we get here its a bloody mad house." Derrick said. "I didn't know." The man growled at him. I took in a deep breath getting fed up with all of this distractions. "I have to get in there and finde Nate I don't have time to meet new people." I said only facing Derrick not caring how rude I was being to these people.

"Then it looks like your going to need some help." The girl snapped at me I turned back to look at her letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry..." I whispered and then nodded my head. "Someone needs to stay behind with the twins." I stated and one of the guys hands shot straight up like he was a student waiting to be called on. We all turned to look at him and the girl beside him looked disgusted. "I can. I-i ... I'm not good with these things..." 

"Cranks." Derrick said answering for him as he got back up to his feet resting his precious box in the guys hands. "I swear to god, if you you are not right here with this box and children when we get back. I will trace you down and make you wish that you were dead." Derrick said sounding truly scary. I made a slient note not to make him mad as I rested my hand on the door handle. "Ready?" I demanded and everyone nodded their head as I pushed the door open we were flooded with light.