3

Clarence dropped from the sky into the long grass

Clarence dropped from the sky into the long grass. Moments later the girl came through too. What had happened? When he stood his head swam, and he fell back to his knees. The girl wasn't moving. Clarence crawled towards her and looked at her. She gazed up at the sky; her face pale whilst silent tears rolled down her cheeks.

"You-" he ran a shaking hand across his face and switched to Joining Earth Standard, "I'm in so much trouble." He sat back in the grass; she didn't look good, her side still bleed. "Let me see the cut."

She blinked, sniffed and pulled up her top whilst she ran her hand across the grass as if she couldn't believe it was real. The cut looked deep, but it wasn't life-threatening; the blood had clotted, but she had lost a lot. His relief confused him. It was awful that she was here. "Welcome to Joining Earth."

Had she listened? He lay next to her and closed his eyes. He would get some rest whilst she dealt with her shock. Jumping with two people had put so much strain on his body he felt like he'd done twelve rounds in the sparring ring. He wouldn't feel normal or have the strength to use his magic for days but as soon as he lay down she stood up and turned on the spot with her hands over her face as she shook. "You're okay," he moved and put his hands on her arms, turning her so he could study at her. "We're in Ireland but I'm not sure where. When you came through with me I-" he took a deep breath and gave her a sheepish smile. "Sorry."

"Ireland's uninhabitable," she told him. Her face contorted as she tried to lie to herself to explain what was happening.

"In this world it's fine. See?"

She shook her head, her brain not yet allowing her to accept what was in front of her. "No," she muttered and then said something he didn't understand. "I'm dead."

"You're very much alive. I don't suppose I can send you back?"

Her response was blank incomprehension.

"Is there anywhere? Back there. That I can take you?"

"It's all gone."

"Light!" Clarence swore, and he scratched the back of his neck. "Everywhere?"

"The war-"

"The entire world?"

She nodded. "Famine, plagues and the 'Endless Night'. Can you time travel?"

"Nobody can time travel," he told her. "What's your name?"

"Beatrix Sung-Smith." She continued to look around, lost in her own wonder. Sheep grazed. in the distance he saw a farmhouse. Clarence squinted through the heat haze. Just how welcoming would they be, considering that Beatrix dressed in clothes that marked her out as very different, and they were both covered in blood?

"What was the white flash? What would have happened if we had stayed longer?" His question brought her back to reality. She fixed him with her deep brown eyes, the force of her stare made him take a step back. Her eyes were mesmerising.