4

04

Two more days then Clarence would be able to Jump with Beatrix. As long as he didn't drink so much he gave himself a hangover, or fought so much he ended up wounded, he could get them out of the forest. With any luck, he would be back in time to track down Jacko. Then he'd show him how to conduct a successful stabbing. That bastard, wounding him and leaving him for dead in a hostile alien world. He'd get what he deserved.

In the meantime, the outlaws needed a fiddle player, and Clarence would give them what they wanted. He sat next to Beatrix on the back of the cart as it threw up clouds of dust. The road deteriorated as the tree roots jutted. The light shone down through the shade in shafts of mottled green to illuminate the track. Birds were singing, and the air was cooler under the trees than it had been in the grassland. Considering the danger, his surroundings were all too pleasant, almost mocking.

"What's going on?" Beatrix asked. She spoke so quietly that he wasn't sure at first she had said anything.

"Outlaws. Don't worry."

Her mouth turned up as she gave him a nervous smile, but even smiling seemed to be an effort for her now and she was sweating and shaking at the same time.

"Is the cut bad?"

In response, she lifted her top and a stench of fish rot and old meat turned his stomach. "How's it got like that?"

"I think the cloth I used to pad it was dirty. The brandy helped, but we drank it all."

On the driver's seat of the cart, James laughed under his breath and Clarence realised that a Lord may well have learned dead languages. He leant in closer, pretending to pay closer attention to her wound, "Remember my name is Ren."

She nodded to show she had heard him, "Ren, can you ask them if they have a Doctor who can help me?"

"They won't help you without expecting something from you," Clarence told her. "Don't ask them."

"What can I do then?"

"Keep it clean. Maybe stitch it up?" Clarence shrugged, it wasn't his field. Beatrix tutted in frustration and lay down. In moments, she had drifted back into a feverish sleep.

"She's getting worse," Clarence told James in Joining Earth Standard. "She's got a fever. If you can heal her, I'll stay here with her to pay you back. I'll play for you and your men, I'll pull my weight. She will too, you know, she's resourceful."

James didn't look round, but he was chuckling as the cart bounced along a narrow path through the forest. After what seemed an eternity, Clarence heard voices and smelled roasting meat before the cart rounded a thicket and came to a halt. Around him was a circle of the forest where the ground was cleared. Rope ladders crossed between trees, and little shelters wound their way up into the canopies. There was an industrious air to the camp which housed both outlaws and their families.