8

Beatrix hadn't been to sea before. She stood looking at the small launch with caution. Clarence wondered if he should ask her if she was ok, but something in the way she looked at it made him hold his tongue. He pictured her resolutely facing down a monster. To be honest, the sea was monstrous. Beyond Bresco Bey white peaks of foam capped the dark green waves, and he knew that their crossing would be awful.

"No finer day for it," Pete commented and slapped Clarence on his arm as he jumped off the jetty into the launch and he held out his hand for Beatrix to climb in. Next to Clarence, Molly Buttercup stood with her hands on her hips as she sucked her teeth. "I'll do it," she told him. "Though don't expect me to run it the same way."

"I don't."

"And I'll be renting your room out Clarence so I'll put anything you own in the loft."

"Fine."

She slid her hands into her pockets. The weak sunlight was glinting off her red hair and lightly freckled skin. "Right then," she sniffed and turned to go. He caught her arm and turned her back. It wasn't often he saw her in the sunlight. Even though he could see every imperfection on her face she was more beautiful now than when the candles were lit.

"We had fun Molls," he told her and watched with something akin to a sad satisfaction as her eyes misted with tears.

"You ain't coming back."

He shook his head. "I don't suppose I can."

"Save Fred, he's a kind man, he doesn't deserve-"

Clarence pulled her towards him and kissed her. When he broke away she was smiling and crying at the same time. "Keep Beatrix safe," she whispered. "Fred'ud kill you if anything happened to her and I know you love her too. Don't forget it." She kissed him again to a chorus of wolf whistles from the sailors under Pete's command and walked backwards away from him. When he turned to climb into the boat Beatrix looked impatient bordering on furious, and Pete amused.

He settled in the centre of the boat, facing Beatrix. Pete issued orders and took his position at the tiller as the sailors cast off and rowed back to the Squid. The ship moored in the sheltered waters at the mouth of the bay where it was protected from the poor weather. It took about fifteen minutes to row to it, and it wasn't easy to climb up the ladder and alight onto the deck but Beatrix managed it without complaining or needing his help, already she was faring better than he had his first time at sea.

"Welcome to the Squid," Pete told her, hooking his fingers into his belt and looking around at the ship with pride. "Don't suppose from the look of stupidity on your face you know how this thing works. I'll spare you the lecture," His smile was only half-mocking. He didn't have much time for people who didn't know how to sail unless they could make him some money. Clarence's eyes tracked up into the rigging. Unfurled square sails and the crew scurrying around the ratlines now their captain was on board. They expected being told to get underway. Even as Clarence thought it he realised he could feel the anchor being winched from the way the wood vibrated under his feet.

"That back there is the captain's cabin." Pete pointed Beatrix towards the back of the ship. "You will sleep in there with Clarence. I'll bunk in with my first mate in the map room."

"Thanks Pete," Clarence collected his pack and hoisted it onto his shoulders, "We'll stay out your way."

"Good. Far as I'm concerned, you're both paying customers. I'll get us underway and I'll join you to talk this through."

Even in the bay the sway of the ship was alarming. Beatrix didn't seem to notice it, but he felt drunk. When they ducked under the poop deck and entered the small captain's cabin she crossed to the window seat and chucked her pack on the floor.