15

Bobbin Granville watched Beatrix as she was dragged up from the Golden Gate dungeons and shoved into an unmarked coach driven and guarded by his men. Next to him Barry Cook, the leader of the Salisbury Humanist Movement, smoked a pipe.

"You want her for what?"

"Leverage," Bobbin told him. "Call her an insurance policy, Barry." Barry didn't need to know about Earth. Nobody did. That stupid girl was his ticket to being the most ingenious, forward thinking leader of his age. He wasn't about to share.

"You just paid a guard a hundred gold pieces for her. Do you have any idea how much weaponry we could have got for that?"

"That girl is Clarence O'Leary's lover."

Barry sniffed. "The Necromancers won't like it."

"They don't have to know."

"They know Bobbin. They know everything. And we need them if we are going to be successful."

Bobbin ground his teeth, usually his conversations with Barry Cook were hopeful, but today Barry's lack of faith was frustrating.

"They don't know everything Barry, and the last time I checked they worked for us. Our Master pays them handsomely."

Barry didn't seem too sure.

"Have some faith, think about how far we have come in such a short time. With Clarence on the throne, controlled openly by Grendal we have our example set. Royal Blood does not determine suitability to rule. Play your part and publicise it."

Barry pointed to the letter in Bobbins pocket, he had read it whilst they waited for Beatrix to be brought up from her cell. "The Leprechaun Nation does not intend to recognise Humanity as equal in law and has no plans to place it on the agenda for discussion. Humanities value in the Leprechaun Empire is recognised. Even the High family employs Humans. Any attempt to unlawfully further a human agenda will be seen as an act of rebellion against the Council of the Lights rulings and will be given to the Human Empire to prosecute as they see fit." Barry puffed on his pipe. "That is a direct quote from the Stewards office. A direct quote from the same letter that commends you on your fine work bringing the lover of the King to the attention of the Council. Did you really think they would reward you so highly?"

Bobbin laughed and shook his head as they watched the coach drive off towards Salisbury docks. He turned and got into his own coach and once settled, he leaned out the door so he could continue to speak to Barry. "Grendal is aware of us now- Aware of me." He raised his chin as he said it, knowing that his eyes had that powerful shine his mother used to love. Determined, she had called him. "When events come to pass, he will remember my name Barry, and then we'll talk again. You'll see. This will be favourable for us. Beatrix will be favourable for us."

Barry didn't sound convinced. "You'll be sailing soon?"

"Morning tide," he said. "Down to Stonedruid City and off to the Seastones. I've been summoned to our masters side." He raised an eyebrow, watching with satisfaction as Barry tried to hide jealousy.

~

The dockyard stank of oakum, tar, rotting fish and human sewage. It wasn't the same selection of smells Clarence had been used to at Gelding Town Docks where the scent of the salt sea air masked the worst of the smells with the aroma of rotting seaweed.

Salisbury dockyard wreaked. He was sure he would get ill just breathing it all in. Dressed as an Innisman nobody questioned his right to be here, wearing a sword, asking questions. The shipyard office said that no boats had left for Stonedruid but that two were scheduled to go once the flooding went down. He was hopeful it would be in the morning. When Clarence saw the name of the second ship he knew where Beatrix would be. The Doppleganger. The ship Bobbin Granville sailed on.