A showcase with @toomuchtohandle21, author of Lydia

1 what inspired the idea of your story? 

My town inspired the story. At times, the racism and sexism that still runs through it. At other times, the beauty, and the peace.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story? 

I didn't struggle too much. For the most part, it was smooth sailing. I would say that parts of my story I struggled with were the ones I needed to write the most. For example 'Little Leonard' is an abused factory worker. It hurt writing those words, because it made it real.

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I truly enjoyed all of it! But I especially enjoyed writing scenes with Lydia's entire family. As someone who grew up an only child, getting to experience a big family, even fictionally, was really special.

 4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

My readers are some of the kindest souls I've ever had the pleasure of speaking to! They really treasure Lydia to the same extent that I do. Nothing but love!

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

As of right now 'Lydia' is a stand alone novel. But there are things in the works at this very minute!

 6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

I want my readers to take away that the whispers and the sneers don't mean anything, until you make them mean something. I also want them to take away an understanding of what love is in its most wholesome form.

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

Immerse every inch of yourself into it. When you go about your daily lives, think about your characters and how they would act in comparison to you.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Unfortunately, she does! Lydia is my inner monologue and everything that I want to say, but never do.

 9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

I think Lydia is the thing that draws in new readers. Everyone can relate to her in some way or another. Whether you're from the South, North, or halfway across the world.

10 Do you have any future projects?

I do have future projects! I'm currently writing a new novel of a completely different genre! It's called, "The Hot Spring Lion's Society!"