chapter four

29 days before
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟

29 days before𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟

𝑟𝑖𝑘𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑎 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠

I anxiously stood in line at the drive ins with Dallas Winston behind me. He was always around me coincidentally, which was really odd to me.

    After a long day of school, Darry decided to take all of us to go see a movie. I was a little chilly out, but I didn't mind.

    I wanted to go get a snack, but then everyone wanted one. I asked Sodapop if he could come with me but he refused and sent Dally instead.

    It was awkward between the two of us. I knew he broke up with Sylvia again and I hoped it was for good. She didn't deserve Dally.

     "So," I nervously sung, walking down the line as it got shorter, "how have you been, Dal?"

     I heard him sigh. He stayed silent, digging his lighter out of his pocket and lighting up the cigarette that loosely hung from his lips.

    "Hey, you can't do that here!" Some little boy said from behind him. Dally paused in his tracks. He furrowed his eyebrows and shoved his hands in his pockets. He turned to the little boy. I sighed and grabbed ahold of Dally's arm.

    "Come on, leave the kid alone," I tired to stop him. Instead, he continued to ignore me. I let go of his arm.

     "What'd you say to me you little punk?" Dally growled. I became anxious and nervous again.

    The kid crossed his arms and returned the glare to the older boy.

     "You're not allowed to do that here, mister," the kid growled. Dally let out a chuckle of pity. He stood up straight and placed his cigarette between his two fingers, letting his hand fall to his side.

    "Tuff," he snapped, "ain't it."

     The kid became angry. Dally pushed past me in the line to get our drinks and food. I turned to the kid and pulled a nickel out of my pocket.

    "I'm sorry about him, kid. Here, take this nickel and get yourself something sweet," I told him as nice as possible. The kid gave me a huge smile and turned to his older brother behind him in excitement.

    I ruffled the kids hair and turned back to Dally. He was already gone. I rolled my eyes. Where did he go?

"So how was school today, sunshine?" Two-Bit Mathews asked me as we walked back to the house after the movies.

I was on Steve's back, who was carrying me home since he lost a bet. Soda had dared him to pants one of the workers at the drive ins, but the worker ended up being our principal. He would've done it if it wasn't for that.

Two-Bit walked beside the both of us, with a bottle of beer he stole from someone in his hands.

"It was amazing!" I said, "when Samantha, Josephine and I walked into the school, everyone glared at the two. They couldn't believe that two of the cheerleaders, who came from the richest family, dressed as a grease for the day. There was one girl though who had a problem with it."

"Sylvia?" Two questioned. I looked down at him and nodded. He knew me well, "what'd she do?"

"She beat the three of us up with her little minions. I hate her so much, I can't. Why does she treat people so poorly, Two-Bit?"

The boy beneath me sighed.

"Don't let that snotty two timing bitch get to you. She's not worth your time," Steve said. Suddenly, in front of us, Dally stopped in his tracks.

"What'd you say about Sylvia?" He asked. My eyes widened with fear. Dally quite honestly scared me when he was angry. Not all of the time, but right now was one of those moments.

Steve bent down for me to jump down. I landed on my feet and went over to Two-Bit. I somewhat hid behind him. He had ahold of my hand to keep me calm. I was scared easily sometimes.

"She's a two timing bitch, Dal," Steve repeated, "you know that too, so there's no need to get your panties in a knot," he rose his voice.

Dally's face turned red with anger. He let out his signature laugh.

"What'd she say about Sylvia?" Dally harshly asked. I stayed silent. Steve spoke for me.

"She said that your psychotic ex and her friends beat her up along with her two friends. She doesn't understand why people have to be asshole. Why are you being one?" Steve asked Dally.

Dally held in his breath. He threw his cigarette onto the ground and stormed off. I sighed.

We eventually made it back to the house. I quickly rushed to get a shower and headed to bed with Dally on my mind.

He was quite the mystery. He had a screwed up life, and I wanted him to know that I was there for him. I wish there was a way I could lighten him up or even get him to talk. He needed a saving before it was too late.

Before he was locked up in the cooler for good. He could do good in life, I feel, but he was spending his time doing nothing but trouble.

He could be famous one day. If he could even end up dead, shit-faced in a ditch somewhere.

I wanted to help Dally. No matter how hard he would try not to, I wanted to. He needed help.