A Cold Night.

Here is a sneak peek to a book I'm thinking about publishing. I've been having the idea in my drafts, but no idea if the concept is interesting. Posting it anyway cause I'm living for it.

Clara's Pov:

It's cold. The window of the carriage my hand lays against. I cannot see it, though I know by the droplet sounds hitting the roof,

... it's raining.

*sigh* "Are we almost there?"

"No Miss, we should be there by tomorrow. We are currently in Devildom territory."

"Ah, thank you."

Silence. Another passenger, a middle aged woman I don't know from my village, also came along to see to it I am safe. I believe she runs a bakery.

"Clara, if you don't mind my asking, were you born blind?"

I turn my head in the direction I heard her but my head more down.

"It's quite alright... Miss?"

"Isabel."

"Miss Isabel. Yes I have been blind all my life." I softly smile.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Say, why are you heading to Celestia?"

"I need a change of pace. Why did you come along?"

"I'm heading there myself to tell you the truth! I run a bakery back home, but I heard they have quite a baker there. I want to learn more about him."

I chuckle for the tone of her voice sounded like that of a child on Christmas morning.

"How wonderful. I wish you luck meeting the baker."

"As I wish you find what you're looking for too Clara."

A few hours in, Miss Isabel informs me the night falls and we must rest. The rain had stopped.

*middle of the night*

BANG!

I jolt awake by the sound of a gunshot and the carriage no longer moving.

I whisper, "Isabel?"

"I'm here. It's alright." She whispers back and holds me close.

"What's going on?" I lay my head on her shoulder.

"I think robbers. They won't be happy to know it's not holding any cargo."

"What should we do?"

"Make a dash for it."

I think about it. After a second, what else was I supposed to consider? Dying?

"Let's run like hell, but I can't see so don't let go of me. If we get separated please keep running. Promise me."

"But.."

"Promise."

"I promise."

I nod and grab her hand.

We take off our heels. "Ready."

"Set." She tightens her grip on me.

"GO!"

The door flies open and our feet hit a dirt road running into an open field of grass. I feel every part of the ground brush against my ankles. I do my best to hold her hand and my dress. We hear men yelling in the distance as we high tail to I have no clue where.

"Two women!"

"Shoot them!"

"Don't let them get away!"

*bang bang*

The shots echoed through the night. All of a sudden I feel a sharp pain in my side. My hand slips from Isabel's and I hit the cold grass.

"CLARA!" She cries out.

"RUN ISABEL KEEP GOING!"

She cries and hugs me. "Please don't make me leave." I hear a rip and Isabel applying pressure to my side.

"Don't die here with me Isabel...go see the baker. It's my wish your wish is carried out. If I survive I will write to the baker boy in hopes you hear from me again." I smile tears running down my face. She kisses my forehead and wipes back my hair. Her footsteps getting farther and farther away.

"Damnit...I can't see a thing." I cry more but quietly as I hear the men approach.

"She doesn't have much chance to live. Leave her here."

"The other one got away."

"Don't matter. She couldn't see us."

"This one can we gonna just let her lie here?"

I open my eyes tears still running down my face as I cough and hold my side feeling the warm blood spill slowly.

(At least I still have something of Isabel's with me..)

"She's...blind."

I say nothing and close my eyes. Moments later I heard footsteps walk away and eventually silence. Silence once more among the song of crickets and frogs. The night is only getting colder...much colder.