Chapter 4

"Wake up beautiful I have dinner ready." Brandon said slowly waking me up. I sat up and slowly got off his bed as he placed a hand on my hip for stability. We walked to the kitchen and I spotted a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs and opened my eyes wide. My favorite. I sat at the bar and ate the spaghetti and Brandon was mostly quiet probably avoiding what happened earlier. "So we need to talk." he finally spoke as I was finishing.
"Ok." I responded.
"My brother comes and stays with me on the weekends so you are gonna be seeing a lot of him and he has some issues so he needs his own space and stuff. So you can keep your stuff in my room and sleep in his room when he's not here and then mine when he's here and I'll sleep on the couch. And if you are gonna stay here I'll have to get a key made. You are not required to pay for anything that all comes out of my dads money. I just ask that you don't bring guys around though."
"That shouldn't be a problem."
"Ok"

Friday night
"My brother is coming at 10"
"Ok I'll sleep on the couch you can have your bed Brandon."
"No your taking the bed I'll sleep on the couch it's more comfortable... sometimes."
"Can we watch White Chicks after your brother goes to bed? I haven't seen that movie in forever. Please"
"Fine we can watch it on the TV in my room tonight."

9:45 pm
"I got it" Brandon called after the doorbell rang.
"Ok" I yelled back from the kitchen. About 4 minutes later a young boy about 14 appears with Brandon. "This is my little brother Aaron. Aaron this is Maribel."
"Nice to meet you Maribel. I would love to stay and talk and get to know you but I'm really tired so I think I'm gonna go to bed."
"Ok goodnight." Me and Brandon said in unison.
After about a minute I whisper yelled "white chicks time!"
"Okay okay." we got in his room and I laid on the bed while he put in the movie then he joined me as it started. When the movie was over I was half asleep in his arms. He turned off the tv and we laid for about 10 minutes before he moved me off him and on to the bed. He then got up and covered me with the blanket... Maybe he is turning off the light? He turned off the door and walked out and shut it behind him. Maybe he needs water? About 5 minutes later and he's still not back. I get up and walk out of the room to find him laying on the couch.
"What are you doing?" I ask.
"Going to sleep..." He says confusion written on his face.
"Why didn't you just stay in your room?"
"I thought you wanted your privacy... I told you I would sleep in the couch so I am."
"Oh ok."
He laughed and smiles standing up "would you like me to come lay back with you?"
"No. Just forget I asked."
"Wait what did I do?"
"Your making it a joke and I just want someone to make me feel safe when I sleep and not like my dads gonna come get me. I just wanted someone to lay with me. But you just think it's funny like I'm some desperate girl."
"That's not what I meant," he stepped forward and grabbed my waist "I would love to come lay with me if you still want me to."
I nodded and he grabbed my hand and led me to the room. I held onto his arm as we entered the room. He didn't bother turning the lights on for is to see he just shut the door and led me to the bed. We laid down facing each other and there was just enough light for me to see his face.
"Do you want to talk about what happened?" He asked after a couple seconds.
"About what?"
"About your dad."
"There's nothing to tell he just... Well umm... He abuses me and tries to use me to entertain his friends. And he's supposed to be in jail but I guess he got out on good behavior. But my mom wasn't home enough to always stop him so the last time she wasn't home and I was with him he beat me unconscious and my neighbor called the cops for screaming. Then they found me almost beat to death on the floor I went to the hospital he went to prison." I was now crying but kept a hard face trying to act tough.
"Look i won't ever let him touch you again I promise. Hey, shhh don't cry I've got you." Was all he said before he pulled me close to him to wear if we were any closer I'd suffocate. He kissed my forehead and we fell asleep.

"Worthless piece of shit" my drunken dad yelled with a punch in the jaw.
"Please don't hurt me!" I pleaded over and over to him.
"You were never supposed to be born! You are nothing but a disgrace to this family! You might as well die now!" He screamed kicking me and punching me out of consciousness.
I can't breathe. I can't breathe.
"Maribel wake up you are having a bad dream! Wake up!" I heard Brandon's voice yelling as I woke from my dream. It was still dark out side and Brandon looked scared. I was in sweats and couldn't breathe. Breathe. Calm down it was just a bad dream. But it wasn't a dream, it was a replay of the past 13 years of my life. (3years my dad didn't live with us)
"Talk to me."
"I... I can't."
He laughed. "That's good enough."
He held me in his arms for about an hour just silence as i contained my breathing. Then I spoke out.
"I'm sorry."
"For what?"
"For causing you so much trouble."
"What trouble?"
"I'm living in your house, sleeping in your bed, crying to you, having to have you deal with my problems. I'm sorry I never meant for all this to happen. I didn't mean to invade your life."
"You didn't invade my life you made it have a purpose. You saved my life. You could have let me die but you didn't."
"I know but you didn't have to invite me into your life, a complete stranger. So why'd you do it?"
"You really wanna know why I did it?" I nodded. "Because when I was 10 we had the same teacher, but in 9th and 10th we had the same math class. I have liked you since I was 10 and I always saw you go down to the lake and so I went to look for you the other day and that's when those guys found me and jumped me. I always pretended like I didn't know you cause I thought that's what you wanted. But know I'm starting to see you are not what everyone says you are and I'm glad because I like this you. And now that I have you and know you I don't wanna let go I have this weird instinct to wanna hold you and keep you safe and it's confusing me. But I like the feeling."

I looked in his eyes, they were filled with so much passion and mixed emotions. He was beautiful and kind and I loved being around him. Now everything makes since the way he accidentally bumps into me, the way his EX's give me death glares and why every guy he's friends with stays away.
"Why didn't you just say that from the beginning?" 

"Because i was afraid, i was afraid you would tink i was just some stupid guy trying to get some. I didnt want to loose you. I just thought if I kept pretending I didnt like you I would be able to have you longer."