Chapter 6

When we arrived home Aaron was asleep and Brandon carried him in. I grabbed the tub of ice cream we bought on the way home and went inside. Then I went to change into some pajamas cause I don't like real clothes. As I was looking through my bag Brandon came in. "Whatcha looking for?" He asked.
"Something to wear. I can't find any pajamas."
Brandon turned and walked to his dresser and pulled out a tshirt that would be a dress on me. "Here you can wear this im sure it won't show anything and it will be as comfortable as pajamas." he winked at me and headed to the bathroom. I changed quickly and put on some nike spandex just in case. Once I finished I walked to the kitchen to get a water. As I was looking in the fridge strong arms grabbed around me. Thinking they were Brandon i playfully pushed and said "Brandon let me get a water first."
When he didn't answer I tried pushing him off. No budge. "Brandon get off me!" I half screamed. Then Brandon came running in with a baseball bat "what the hell are you-" he stopped and looked as I tried to squirm out of the grip of whoever was behind me. "Let her go!" Brandon demanded.
"She's my daughter! You let her go." I heard a all to familiar drunk voice.
"Let me go!" I screamed as Brandon held his bat up.
"Let her go or I swear you will be a dead man." He screamed. I was still in his hold but I remembered my self defense move from a class I took last summer and I decided to try it out. I elbowed back in the pelvis then up in the nose then kicked in a place no man wanted to be kicked. Then I ran to Brandon's arms as my dad laid deviled over on the kitchen floor.
"You bitch!" He shouted as he looked at me. He pulled something out of his pocket and then there was two very loud noises. A gun. Pointed at me. Before I can comprehend the situation I saw Brandon fall then my dad. If he was aimed at me why am I not shot? I screamed as loud as I could. Larry and Aaron came in seconds later as I was on the phone with 911 and holding Brandon's head. There was so much blood it was hard to tell where it was coming from. Larry took the phone from me because I was at a loss of words I began crying and then realized there was no movement from my dad either. I screamed for Brandon to hear me as I heard Aaron began to sob. I did something I haven't done in a while but I needed someone. I prayed for Brandon like I have never prayed for anyone including myself. The next couple minutes was a blur there were sirens and lights and people and a black bag. I will never forget. He's dead. The man I have been running from my whole life is dead. And he has shot the only man I trust. The only man I love... We get to the hospital and Aaron won't let go of me. He's so scared and it's all my fault if Brandon wouldn't have tried to save me we wouldn't be here on this position. We sat in the waiting room with Larry. I laid on Larry as Aaron laid on me all of us crying. After about an hour of that the doctor came in and asked for me. Why me? "Yes that's me."
"We just wanted to let you know how brandon is doing. He is recovering from surgery now. But we have some bad news about your father. He has no other contacts so this is all his belongings we got off him before surgery if you want them."
I just nooded and asked "is Brandon gonna be okay?"
"Yes luckily the bullet only hit a muscle and that's why there was so much blood but he is gonna make a full recovery."
"Can we go see him?"
"Two at a time."
I nodded and turned to Larry and Aaron. "You guys go first." I kissed them both on the cheek and sat down as the basically ran to Brandon's room. As soon as they left the police showed up looking for me.
"Are you Maribel?"
"Yes sir. Can I help you?"
"We are here to talk about tonight."
"Okay."
"What happened exactly from beginning to end?" I told them everything from my dad abusing me to him grabbing me and Brandon protecting me. And him killing himself. I didn't have any reason to leave any of it out.it was all the truth. About 45 minutes since Larry and Aaron went in they came back. The police left about 3 minutes earlier.
Larry came up and said "we are headed back to get some clothes and stuff you can head in and see him."
"Okay"