Stars Hollow PD

AN// - Edited

After Andy finished eating, I asked if she wanted to stay in the apartment, or come down to the diner with me. She opted to stay with me, bringing one of her books along with her.

When I came down Rory had already left for school, and Lorelai had gone to work. I got a call.

"Luke's Diner, this is Luke," I say.

It was the police asking if I could bring Andrea down to the station for questioning. I made sure she wouldn't have to see her parents. They said she wouldn't have to have any contact with them.

I relayed the message to Andrea, and she agreed, but seemed nervous. I told Caesar I was leaving and then we both got in my truck and drove to the police station. She was quiet the whole way there, not that she was normally a very talkative person, except for around the Gilmores and I, but she was almost never this quiet.

When we got there, they took Andrea into a room so they could ask questions and I couldn't be there, so I just sat and anxiously waited.

Andrea's POV

I need to stay calm. They can't get me in here. Even if they see me, there are people who will protect me, including Luke, especially Luke. They ask how often my parents abused me and how long it had been going on. They asked if I knew what set my parents off.

We started off as a normal, content, happy family. Then when I was in middle school, my mother cheated on my father, and to top it off he lost his job. I don't know for sure how they get money for food and booze, but I'm pretty positive it wasn't legal.

They were both mad at each other, but didn't have anywhere else to run to, so instead they drowned themselves in alcohol and the occasional drug. As well as taking it out on me. It didn't escalate right away, it gradually got worse, and the hitting didn't start until a few months in.

It started with yelling, occasionally throwing things in my general direction.

By, the time stuff really got bad I had already started seeking refuge at Luke's any time I wasn't at school, or with Rory.

Once they had the information they needed from me I went back out to Luke, only to see he wasn't where I left him. His truck was still here, so he didn't leave me.

I guess I'll just sit and wait for him to come back.

Luke's POV

What were they going to do with her? She had mentioned not having any other family. They would probably send her away if I didn't take her. I got up and found someone to talk to about taking her. Lucky for me CPS and her caseworker had just shown up.

In times like these I'm happy to live in a small, everyone knows everyone, town. I was free to take her home with me and they are scheduling a home visit. I walk out to see her sitting in a chair by the door. She perked up when she saw me, giving me a smile.

Now all I have to do is tell Andy and make the house suitable for a teenage girl. I could ask Lorelai if she could take her for a couple nights, so I can get the apartment ready. 

I walk up to her and crouch down in front of her chair. She looked slightly worried. By how big her eyes were when she was nervous or scared, it was sometimes hard to tell that I was talking to a sixteen-year-old and not an eight-year-old.

"Andrea, I need to ask you a question," I say.

She nods, still nervous.

"How would you feel about coming to live with me?" I ask.

Her look turns to confusion, and then she looks down. I can tell she is thinking, I can practically see her brain moving a mile a minute.

She looked up at me and almost like her brain had just registered what I asked; her confused look turned into an enormous grin.

She jumps up from her seat and throws her arms around my neck. I can tell she's crying, but I hear her let out a few laughs, holding me tight.

"Thank you, Luke," she says happily.

"So, I guess that a yes," I joke.

She collects herself, and we head back to the diner.