New Spaces, Missed Faces

After we get back to the diner Luke gets busy tending to the now busy diner, and I carry all of my stuff upstairs.

I first change the bedding, keeping one of Jess' small blankets. I move all of his remaining clothes to one corner of the closet.

I hang up all my shirts and dresses. I don't want to pack up any of his clothes. Not really because I think he'll come back, but because I know I'll want to steal what he left behind.

Anything that can't be hung I manage to fit in the bottom draw of his old dresser. The other three are filled with all of my clothes that didn't need to be hung up.

I put the rest of my stuff away, mixing my possessions in with Jess'. The morning Jess left I arrived at the diner just like I always do, but I found Luke almost frantic.

When he told me Jess left I kind of shut down. Luke could tell I was upset, but I didn't cry. I helped like I always did. When Caesar arrived Luke left.

I now know he had gone to inform Lorelai about Jess. Jess was kind of my rock. Not the same was Luke was.

Luke was the protective parent figure I always needed in my life, but Jess was able to help me differently, though I'm sure he wasn't even aware of that.

Jess gave me some kind of hope. Though his mother wasn't the same as my parents, not nearly as bad, she still had a drinking problem.

His mother was never very supportive, or motherly. He was able to get out that life.

Hopefully in his time in Stars Hollow Rory and I were truly able to convince him he was capable and worthy of doing amazing things.

Him being able to get out gave me hope that I could too, and now I am. I was able to be saved by the same man that saved Jess.

The phone rings, so I get off my bed and walk into the little kitchen area to answer it.

"Hello?" I answer.

The line is silent. Rory mentioned that she got a call, and there was no one there. We both think it was Jess. I assume he meant for Luke to answer so he could not talk to him.

"Jess? It's Andrea. Rory mentioned a call that she thought came from you. I know you probably wanted to talk, or listen to Luke, and you most likely won't say anything, but I need to talk to you."

I pause for just a few seconds. I can hear city noises in the background.

"I said something once about my parents, how they drink sometimes, and get mad, but I never told you how bad it was. Luke found out..." I break off again, I'm rambling and need to breathe.

"Jess, Luke is going to adopt me. I moved into the apartment today. I kept all of your stuff... except for the bedding, I got new bedding," More drifting off, more silence.

"I miss you. I hope you're doing well," I'm sitting at the table, picking at the seam in my jeans.

"I miss you too, Andy," hearing his voice stuns me, but I manage to chuckle through it.

"There's the voice I missed, I'm happy you didn't leave it here. How are things? That surprise visit from your dad really shocked both of us."

"Yeah. that's where I went if you hadn't guessed. I found my dad in California and I'm staying with him. Things are- things are alright at the moment," he says.

"That's good to hear. Well, if it makes you feel better even with you running off Luke can't seem to catch a break because now he just has to deal with me," I joke.

"Well, I'm happy someone is there to cause trouble for him now that I'm gone," he says, with a small laugh.

"I really do miss you Jess. You're like my big brother."

"I miss you too, but you can do this without me."

"Hey, I guess we're technically family now, or will be. We will be family," I state.

"You're right. I guess that means you're still going to be a pest," he asks.

"Of course. I'm younger than you, it's my job."

"I should get going," Jess states.

"Okay. Call again. I think I'll go crazy if I don't get to hear from you."

"I'll try. Bye, Andy."

"Bye, Jess."

And he's gone. I hope he keeps his promise. Luke walks in as I put the phone back on the receiver.

"Who was that?" he asks.

Should I tell him? No.

"It was the wrong number," I told him.

I don't think Jess would want me to say I talked to him, and I'm not sure if Luke and Jess are ready to talk.

"Oh, okay. You want something to eat?" he asks.

"Sure."

I get up and follow him downstairs. Unpacking and setting all my stuff up took long enough that it's almost closing time.

I convince Luke to have dinner with me, so I tend to customers while he cooks. As we eat we take turns helping the last few people left in the diner.

After everyone leaves we finish cleaning and head upstairs. We both get ready for bed and walk to our sides of the apartment.

I lay in my bed and hug my little teddy bear tight to my chest. Luke had won it for me, so it was special.

Less than a minute goes by before Luke gets up and comes over to me.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

He just leans down and kisses my forehead, ruffling my hair.

"Goodnight, Andy," he says.

"Goodnight, Dad," I reply, smiling.

He returns my smile and goes back to his bed.

Lucas Danes, you are a strange, but wonderful human.