Home Visit

Today is the day my social worker comes for a home visit. This was supposed to happen before I was even allowed to stay here, but with a good word from Coop and a couple other people Julie, my social worker, pushed it off.

We cleaned the apartment. We kept the diner open and just had Caesar run things. I tries to convinced Luke he didn't need to dress up, and what he normally wore is fine.

He didn't listen and substituted his normal plaid shirt and ball cap for a nice button up shirt. He also managed to convince me to put on one of the dressed he bought for me.

It's a simple navy sundress, with white flowers. I wish one of the Gilmore Girls were here to do my hair.

Julie shows up and we bring her up to the apartment. She looks around, asks questions, writes notes that we are read. After she's done, I'm sent downstairs, so she can talk to Luke.

When she's done with him we switch. She asks me questions like how I like it here and how Luke treats me. She quickly picks up on the fact that I call him dad.

"Well, I think that's all. I think I'll be on my way. Here is my card if you need to call me," she says, standing up and then reaching in her bag.

She hands me the card and then we walk back downstairs. She tells Luke that he will get a call about the court date with in the next week and the she leave, giving us both a small smile and wave.

After her car drives away Luke and I turn to each other. He both just look at each other for a second, a little stunned. Then we both break out in a smile.

"Did that just happen?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Did that just go well?" I ask again.

"I think so," he replies as more of a question. 

I jump up and down and then give him a hug. He squeezes me tight. We go back in.

"I want pie," I say with a sigh.

I cut it and he brings he a plate. As I sit at the counter Miss Patty speaks up.

"What was that all about?" she asks.

I look to Luke and he gives me a kind of nod and a shrug, pretty much telling my that it's up to me to say.

"That was my social worker doing a home visit, so Luke can adopt me," I tell her.

"Oh! That's amazing. I'm so happy for you," she says with a smile.

"Next step is the court date," Luke tells me.

I eat my pie with a smile.

--

As we are cleaning up for the night I finally ask Luke something that I've been thinking about all evening.

"What questions did she ask you?"

"She asks me about you, how I discipline you. She asked about my childhood and family. Oh, I told her about Jess. That made me nervous, but the way she acted I think it actually helps me. What about you?"

"She asked me if I liked it here and how you treat me. She asked if all my basic needs were getting met. She seemed pleased with all my answers."

"That's good. Today went good."

He ruffles my hair and kisses my forehead. As Luke finishes up downstairs I go upstairs and grab the phone.

I dial the same number I've call several times the last few weeks. After three rings someone answers.

"Hello?"

"Andy," I reply.

"One second."

It was Jimmy's girlfriend Sasha who answered the phone. I head her yell for Jess. After a minute he answers.

"Hey, And."

"Hi, Jess. How are things there?"

"Fine. Today was the big day, right?"

"Yeah. It went really well. Sometime this week we are supposed to get a call about the court date."

We chat for a bit until he finally tells he how it's actually going California. Things aren't working out with his dad and he's planning on leaving.

To where? I have no idea. Hell, he has no idea. He tells me he has this number and the number for the diner and he'll call when he can.

"I want postcards," I tell him.

"I'll see what I can do."

"So help me, if I get a call saying you're dead I'm going to bring you back just to strangle you," I tell him.

"I'd expect nothing else."

We are both quiet for a few seconds and I play with the edge of my skirt.

"Everything is going to be ok Andy. I promise," he says.

I nod and take a deep breath.

"I trust you Jess. Take care of yourself."

"I will. Night, Dork," I can hear the smirk in his voice.

"Night, Jerk," I reply, smiling.