• Twenty Six - Waiting Game •

Ebony

The hospital room waiting room was cold, whilst the smell of antiseptic and floor cleaner tainted the air. Me, my father, and the Roux family had been a fixed addition to the hospital these last few days. Avery was in the ICU, but since they only allow family in, for the first day none of us had been allowed to see him.

Well, at least until Fran pulled some strings and had half snuck us in there. I had barely lasted five minutes without bursting into tears, I couldn't bare to see him like that. It brought back too many memories, all regarding the worst day of my life -- the day my brother was hit.

The last time I'd been in this situation, a doctor was telling my parents and I that Jacob's injuries were too extensive and he wasn't going to survive the night. This was better than that time, but only by a margin. It was hard to see past the blonde hair and the tanned skin and remember that it was Avery in the bed, not my brother.

Apart from our little posse, the police had also been a constant addition at the hospital, questioning us about that night and waiting for Avery to wake up. He was still in an induced coma, and I think we were all holding our breaths as we waited to see the full effect of the trauma.

"Here hun," my dad said, pulling me back into the present. He offered me a styrofoam cup full of milky coffee. I didn't even like the bitter drink, but I guess it's the thought that counts. I took it as he handed a cup of coffee to each the twins and Daryl.

None of us had really rested since Wednesday night - we were all so on edge with Ave still out - and it meant that the scene was still fresh in all of our minds. Mine even more so, since I'd been the one to find him like... that.

When he blacked out right in front of me I'd thought the worst - he already looked half dead - and I kind of just lost it. I'd really thought I'd lost him.

"Thanks," we all mumbled in unison as we sipped our drinks. My dad had taken to looking after us all, being somewhat of a babysitter to us. Whenever Fran came to see us you could tell she was upset too, but I think she felt more at home helping Ave in the best way that she could. I was so thankful for everyone who were all doing everything they could.

"Officer Dalton called me to say that he needs to fully question you today about... what you found," my dad said, taking a seat beside me.

I groaned. That is the one thing that I didn't want to have to relive. It was too sad, plus the police were curious as to how we actually found him, and I think they want to charge us for unlawfully entering the premises. I'd been as vague as possible in the previous days, but now they were getting serious.

Macon has been in police custody since, which also means that we now have some very powerful enemies. Oh how joyous life is. Do a good deed and suddenly there's a target on your head.

"Just remember, Eb. Tell the truth and you should be alright. Hopefully they'll see you were doing the right thing, and I'll be there so there's nothing to worry about."

At times like this I was thankful that my dad was a lawyer. He had overseen all of our questioning and made sure that none of us said anything out of turn. We had lied a bit and said that we heard screams coming from the house, and when no one answered the door I climbed up the trellis. Thank God no one was actually home that night, except for a cleaner who went home not long after I'd heard those footsteps, or else we'd have been dead meat.

The psychos had just left him in that bathroom with infected wounds, too poisoned by them to do anything, whilst they were all out or at a dinner with Macon Steel.

My fists curled at the thought of Ave on the ground. I felt fucking sick thinking about it. The room became suddenly stuffy and I was feeling claustrophobic, like the walls were closing in on me.