Chapter 4

"Is it true, Fjord?" I ask, fixing my gaze into him.

He's not moving an inch, with only his hands shaking wildly. His eyes are stuck staring at the vast horizon of the room.

Most people murmur, and some of them peek at our direction.

"We love each other, or rather we loved each other." Gunther sighs. "He cheated on me by the way."

The crowd frowns, and me too, acting surprised even though I already know it.

"Yes," Fjord says, as he's looking into my eyes with a tear on the corner. "If you're asking me if it's true, yes, it's all true." He lingers to stand up, then his body sways, getting a grasp on his balance.

"How did I found out?" Gunther draws out something in his pocket, a crumpled paper. "Well, I found a letter, and this letter really proves that he cheated."

I stare at the paper with wide eyes. Is it really one of the letters that Fjord is sending to me? Then why? Why Fjord? Why do you like me when you have a boyfriend? Why do you like me knowing that I won't like you back? And most of all, why do you like someone like me? I'm a worthless person.

Gunther continues, "And this letter states that---"

"Continue, say it!" Fjord shouts, diverting all atention of the crowd to him, so is Gunther.

"Hey isn't that my sweet little Fjordy," he says in a sweet childish voice. "Okay, if you say so. I'll say it right away."

"So that I can sue you," he says, with his finger pointing directly at him. "I'll see you in court, and in hell!"

"You cheated, I hope you wouldn't forget, so why sue me if I can sue you?"

The crowd remains silent. People really have this tendency to be quiet to hear information clearly when they're not even involved, specially controversies, and I am no exception.

"There's no law regarding cheating, it's a personal choice," he walks to the stage with a straight posture, acting sober now. He grabs the letter out of his hand. "And this? It belongs to me. So back off."

The crowd cheers uproaringly. They really buy whatever Fjord is saying. I guess this battle is on his side.

"You son of a..." His fist tightens, eyebrows cross. "How can you be so confident when you are wrong?"

"That's how the world works, honey." He winks.

Fjord always surprises me. I guess I never really know the real him. Everytime when he's with me I see different versions of himself. At first I thought he's only an optimist, but now he's also suicidal, alcoholic, and now, a total bitch, acting so confident after cheating, reversing everything, putting the blame on the one who was cheated on, like most of the people I know do. I, somehow, feel something bad about thim, regardless of him catching feelings to me, and I can't tolerate that kind of attitude.

"I believe that this party is about celebrating our victory, not minding your personal problems," Ms. Arcenia says as she cross her arms in front of the stage. "You two, get off of there!"

He walks down the stage with a smirk in his face as the crowd's eyes follow. Gunther, on the other hand, walks down on the other side with a clenched jaw and lowered eyebrows as Ms. Arcenia replaces them on the stage.

"That's a bit of a drama, huh?" She laughs. "Now let's continue our party with our remaining speakers!"

Fjord's walking into my direction, but I divert my stare on the stage, with my eyes focused on him through my peripheral vision. He're he comes, and passes by. I grind my teeth, turn back and grasp his arm, making his bandage fall off, revealing his wounds.