Chapter 10

The mini-cup starts with Bryle's team. Bryle jumps as coach Koko throws the ball, he then slaps it towards the rookie, one of the newly recruits. He receives it and hurry to the lane. Performing a lay-up, they get the first points of the game in less than a minute.

Shifting my eyes from the court to my phone, I can't help it but wait for Fjord's reply.

"Please Fjord, reply to me... I really need you here," I send him a follow up message.

Hanz rebounds the ball, and passes it to Gossen. He runs to the center, but the new recruit from Bryle's team guards him and prevents him from advancing. He throws the ball over his head to their new recruit teammate, but Bryle jumps and steal the ball midair. He swerves through Hanz and dunk the ball in the ring.

Wow, as expected from our team captain. I wonder if I'm gonna be the team captain, I won't be as good as him or make flashy moves like what he always do. I'm just a mediocre player with no outstanding qualities.

I realize that they're playing whole court, usually we only play half court when the game is on three versus three.

"Hey you! Why didn't you catch the ball? Are you freaking blind?" Gossen shouts, pointing his finger on their newbie.

"Because he caught the ball first I guess?" the newbie says, lowering his eyebrows.

"Then why are you freaking slow?" He says as he's walking closer to him.

"Your ball flew slowly, you didn't exert too much force in it," he says.

He pushes him on the chest the moment he reaches him. "Are you blaming me?"

"What do you think?" He smirks.

Gossen punches him directly on the face, and holds him on his chest, "Take back what you said."

"Hey, cut it off!" Bryle shouts as he runs in between the two. "What are you doing Gossen? Are you out of your mind?"

He takes off his hand on the newbie's chest and walks back to the court.

"Are you okay?" Bryle asks the newbie. "Can you still play?"

The newbie nods, and walks back to his position.

"I hate dramas, continue the game!" Coach Koko shouts, and the game resumes.

That newbie's so brave, he can say exactly what he wants to say despite being new here. Does he lack respect to the people here? I guess so, but he is indeed right that Gossen shouldn't blame him. I envy his courage. I wish I could say all the things I want to say and not hold back.

Glancing up, my eyes focus on the scoreboard, 12-0 in favor of Bryle's team. They're 3 points away from victory, and Fjord is still not here. I dial his number, and his phone is ringing on the other side of the line but he's not answering, I'm screwed.

Grinding my teeth, I grasp on my phone, too hard enough to break it. Fjord, be here or else...

Adrian whispers in my ear, "Don't worry, it's gonna be fine." It startles me for a second. Seeing him this way is too much for me, I want his usual self back.

"Thank you Mr. Adrian, saying 'don't worry' made my mind not to worry at it," I scowl at him, eyebrows crossed. "Thank you very much."

He grins at the side of his lips while shaking his head.

I sigh. Just relax Lance, you're gonna play at the Division and your dad will be watching you.

Bryle rebounds the ball, and runs to center. From there, he stops and postion himself in a shooting stance. He's insane?! He's shooting at the center? Well it's possible but it's too risky! But if he shoots it to the net, then the game will be over!