Chapter 5

"Are you okay, Lance?" Sherry asks.

Regaining my senses, I slide Fjord's phone to my pocket, and wipe my tears with my hand. Adrian is grasping my other hand, so it's hard to move that much and it's kinda annoying.

"I'm sorry I got too emotional," I stand up. "And can you please let go of my hand Adrian, you're no help at all."

"Is it too hard to say thank you?" he asks, throwing my arm away.

"Thank you for what?" I frown, standing up. "You know, you always annoy me."

Awkward silence fills the atmosphere as he remains quiet while glaring at me. On the other hand, the bartender, wearing a pair of gloves, picks up the debris and put it on a dustpan. He then mops the floor. I look at him and somehow feel guilty for what I've done, and said.

"Uhm... Lance?" Sherry stares at me with curled forehead. "You need to calm down."

I just look at her, and sigh. "Jè suis calme."

"Stop speaking French! Let's go!" Adrian grabs my arm again and pulls me away. "The team's looking for you."

"Wait! I can walk on my own! And can't you see I'm talking to somebody."

"It's totally okay, take Lance with you." Sherry laughs, standing up from the stool. "Just unwind and have fun. I'll just go to my team then. Bye!"

"See," he says. "Let's go!"

I shake his hand off. "You don't have to pull me then, I said I can walk on my own."

He's so annoying, but I'm kinda used to it anyway.

"Okay." He runs his hands through his coat. "So what do you think of my outfit?"

Out of nowhere he asks that question. I find it weird and a bit awkward. I look at him from head to toe and notice that he wears a maroon colored coat, partnered with a plain white polo and a matching maroon bowtie. His slacks are also maroon and his shoes are shiny black. He really meant it when he said that he's preparing for his outfit 'cause honestly, it looks beautiful, it fits him perfectly.

"Disgusting," I say.

"What?"

"You heard me, right?" I walk towards our team. "Now, let's go."

He takes a deep breath, and exhales it noisily with a grouchy face. "Fine."

"For our final speaker, let's welcome Bryle Steelson, the captain of the men's basketball team," Ms. Arcenia says.

Bryle runs hastily to the stage and grabs the microphone from her hand.

"Hey Lance, where's Fjord?" Coach Koko asks.

"Uhmm..." my eyes move sideways. "He went home."

"Hmm... I see," he says, fidgeting his beard with his fingers.

I sigh, and divert my eyes to the stage.

"This is my last year too. I'm just happy to spend it with you guys, I'm gonna miss you all," Bryle says. "This victory is ours, this is the fruit of our endless training, countless doubts and unforgettable memories. Every people in our team is special and all of them have a place in my heart,  but before I leave, I'm leaving you a special announcement. This is a tough decision for me."

"Here it comes, brace yourselves team," Coach Koko says.

My heart suddenly skips a beat, hoping it's not a bad news. I glance at Adrian, and he's grinning widely, can't help myself but to clear my throat. This is going to be a bad news.