Chapter 7

"Now where will we go?" I ask him, halting our run, catching my breath with my hand on his shoulder.

He just looks at me with a smile as he's catching his breath too, shrugging. I can never read this guy, he's so unpredictable every minute.

I return the smile, and suddenly, my tummy growls. I stretch my lips wider, faking a laugh. He locks his mischievous eyes onto mine, grinning like a devil.

"I know where to go," he grabs my arm and pulls me towards the side of the road. I let him pull me anyway. I don't know why but I just wanna go where fate wants me to go.

"Where we goin---" I say, as he's letting go of my hand.

A bus stops in front of us and its door opens. He steps his foot inside and peek back to me, offering his hand, "Would you come with me? to immortality?"

I laugh softly and grabs his unfractured wrist, instead of his hand. "I hope you die soon."

He pulls me inside, my feet twist and tiptoe stepping up as the door closes behind me. Losing my balance, I anchor my hands on the seats.

"How many times will you pull me when I told you not to?" I glare at him, but then he laughs, and I can't help it but to turn my grouchy face into a smile.

"I'm sorry. I swear it's the last," he laughs as he's patting my back. We walk down on the aisle of the bus and sit on the back row.

He pulls my shoulder as I try to sit beside the window. "Please let me sit there."

"You know what, you're getting weirder and weirder each day." I move to the other side as he's sitting, "Picky seater."

"Thanks! I owe you a lot!" He then looks at the window.

"Hey, where we goin'?" I ask, but he seems stuck looking through the window, gazing to the horizon Curious, I gaze into it too. We're passing on to a suspension bridge bridge over the sea. The sun is peeking between the mountains. It's really bright this morning, and it's golden as its rays drop onto our faces. It feels like I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw it. Now I know why he loves to sit beside the window, to see this hopeful view.

He remains quiet, not listening to any words I say. He's so lost in the beauty of the daylight. Suddenly, I'm feeling it too.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" he asks, looking back at me.

"Nothing, really," I say without looking away from the daylight. "It's pretty, isn't it?"

"Who? Me?!" He laughs, but I remain my composure, he stops laughing. Looking back at the window, he says, "Yeah, it reminds me of new beginnings."

"Then why do you want to die if daylight reminds you of new beginnings?" I ask. His face stucks. I quickly look away. "Uhm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that."

"No, not really. I just don't know the answer anyway..."

"Then look for the answer," I smirk.

"That's what keeps me alive." He returns the smirk and winks.

I slowly look forward. What's that wink supposed to mean? Here I am again, giving meanings to things that are supposed to mean nothing.

Skyscrapers start to block the daylight, casting its shadows onto us. Darkness crawls all over the bus. I glance into him and he's still staring at the window despite not seeing the light at all. His face is just like the shadow, dark and alone. I can trace his loneliness from those eyes looking into nothingness. He definitely needs someone to take him out of that darkness, is that supposed to be me? What if he falls in love into me and I just see him as a friend? I just want him to feel okay again 'cause he reminds me of myself.