Chapter 2~Meetings

After that first day with the Professor, you never felt the same. Thankfully you got the phone number of your coworker, Clarence Loy at the end of the day...

You had packed your paper work into your small briefcase hastily and nearly tripped out the door.

"Good night Professor!" You exclaimed, still with an extremely nervous tone. "Get some rest, Y/n. You did well for your first day." The man replied respectively.

Finally you stumbled out the door. Just before closing it, a low chuckle came from the scientist. He was laughing at you. Oh, great. Now I look like an idiot. You thought as you pressed the button on the elevator door. The metal doors almost met, but a warm toned, yet pale, hand stopped them. It was Dr. Loy. He seemed very nice. Maybe even too nice, but you decided to move over a bit so that he'd have some room.

"Funny to see you here Ms. Y/n." He commented.

"Oh, yeah. I was just leaving." For a minute, there was silence. The subtle click of the elevator rang in your ear. And yet, Loy didn't seem to mind. He hummed a familiar pop tune to himself before turning back to you.

"Did the professor mention the staff meeting tomorrow?"

"Well, no... thanks for telling me." You replied awkwardly. At least the guy is helpful.

"How about this, since he has trouble remembering these things, here's my number. If you ever have any questions, just send me something. No calling needed. I can tell you aren't a fan of interaction, but don't worry. He may be a great speaker, but he's very quiet while he's zoned in on work." Clarence said as he handed you a business card.

"Wow." You paused as you thought of a response. "Thank you... again." The elevator stopped at the ground floor and the doors slid open.

"See you tomorrow, L/n!"

"You too!"

He was suspicious. Sure, he seems pretty chill, but just a little too chill. You walked back home just to head up to the bedroom of your apartment. "That went smoothly" you mumbled just before flopping onto your bed, face first. You fell asleep in about 0.7 seconds.

GET IT RIGHT, ALL NIGHT- FROM THE DARK TO THE LIGHT, FROM THE BACK TO THE MIDDLE TO THE FRONT-

Your small speaker blared. Your e/c eyes snapped open at the loud music. "FUCK MY LIFE" You groaned loudly into your cheap silk sheets as you held a pillow over your head. It was only the second day at your new job and yet you already missed the days of waking up late to go watch a married couple's kids.

LI- LI- LI- LIGHT IT UP! RAI- RAI- RAI- RAI- RAISE THAT CUP! PUT YOU-

A hand slammed down onto the speaker, making the room go quiet. You dragged yourself out of bed and took a quick shower before grabbing a cold to-go cup of coffee from the fridge, (It was left there just in case) and your small briefcase. A notification popped up on your phone. It was labeled as "unknown".

Unknown messaged you:

Where do you live again? I can pick you up if you'd like! (:

You recognized it as Clarence. The smiley face was eerie, but you were tired and too sore to speed-walk to work again.

Y/n- Oh yeah, that'd be great! I'm in the apartment building next to the Skool.

Unknown- I'll be right there!

Sure enough, as soon as you got to the ground floor, Clarence showed up. "Hey there, newbie!" He greeted. You just gave him a weak smile and hopped in. Thankfully the drive was short and the two of you got to Membrane Labs on time. "Ready for that meeting?" Clarence questioned.

"Yup! I am super tired and genuinely mad at myself for taking up this job, but I'll be fine!" You said, taking a big swig of the cold black coffee. Clarence looked at you, concerned before patting you on the back, which almost made you spit the coffee back out, and smiling.

"You'll be alright, newbie." The man said before letting you go on your way.

First you stopped at the professor's office to drop off your stuff. When you walked in, Membrane was fixing up one of his mechanical arms. He paused as he heard the click clack of your heels. "Hello there, Dr. Y/n. There is a meeting for all new staff members in 15 minutes, so you should get on with that." He said. That was your que to leave. You placed a few unnecessary papers down and ran back out of the laboratory.

The meeting hall. Where is the meeting hall? Fuck.

Author's Note

Yes. I finally updated. Things are going just GREAT.

Word Count: 806