- i don't like her: part three - mw

this is set in between season two, episode nine: the gate, and season three, episode one: suzie, do you copy?

summary; mike's still trying to come to terms with el liking y/n, as the two girls have some fun of their own.

word count: 815

. . .

"i can't believe it! i honestly thought that el was into me, but the whole time she liked y/n!" mike paced back and forth in his basement.

"mike, calm down-" dustin began.

"then why did she pretend to hate y/n?!" mike ranted.

"it was probably because she was afraid of not being accepted-" max spoke up.

"why are girls so confusing?!" mike yelled.

"mike!"

"i just don't understand-"

"MIKE!"

"WHAT?!"

"sit down!" will stood up and pointed to a space on the sofa and mike reluctantly took it.

"if we're going to get you and y/n together, you need to listen to us!" will crossed his arms, as max, lucas and dustin stood behind him. "okay?"

"but-"

"OKAY?" will, dustin, lucas and max ask at the same time.

"OKAY!" mike sighed. "jeez."

"first thing you need to know about girls is that they love honesty, if you're not honest and upfront with her, she will forget about your ass, and move on." max says to mike.

mike nods his head, actually listening to max for once.

"personally, i think y/n's too good for you-" max crosses her arms.

"max, that's not the point." lucas nudges his girlfriend.

"i'm right though." max whispers under her breath. "anyways, y/n is currently with someone who likes her the way you like her, and that's bad for you."

max slowly paces in front of the boys.

"el could've already made a move on y/n, and you have no idea." max stops in front of mike. "so, go to her."

"wait," mike stands up, towering over max. "so, you made this whole speech and you ended it with something i already knew?"

"that's exactly my point." max clambered up onto the table. "so be the bigger man and tell y/n you like her!"

"yeah, be the bigger man." mike whispered to himself.

"why are you still here then?! go!" max yelled from on top of the table. "fulfil your quest, young paladin!"

"yes, thank you, zoomer. i will." and with that, mike ran out of the basement to find y/n.

 . . .

"truth or dare?" el asked y/n, as they sat in y/n's room.

"um, truth. they're always more interesting." y/n smiled.

"um, uh, would you ever date a girl?" el slightly smiled at the thought of y/n saying yes.

"totally, it doesn't matter the person's gender, it only matters if they love me for me." y/n replies.

el's cheeks turn a bright pink, and quickly attempts to bury them in her hands, away from y/n's line of vision.

"hey, el, what's wrong?" y/n asks, worriedly.

"nothing, nothing at all." y/n removes el's hands from her face. "i would date a girl too."

both of the girls smile at each other and slowly start leaning in, their eyes focused on the other's lips.

just as they were centimetres apart, the doorbell rang, making el and y/n move away from each other.

"i'll, um, i'll be right... right back." y/n awkwardly smiles at el before running downstairs to get the door.

y/n moves a strand of her hair out of her face before opening the door and putting on a fake smile.

but her smile goes away as quickly as it comes.

"michael." y/n nods towards the boy in front of her.

"y/n, listen, please-" mike began as y/n started closing the door.

"I LOVE YOU!"

y/n slowly began opening the door.

"you what?" y/n was in disbelief.

"i love you." mike's breathing was heavy, a mixture of running and admitting to his best friend that he loved her.

"why didn't you tell me that before i left yesterday?" y/n was annoyed with mike, and herself for that matter.

"i was scared, i hadn't come to terms with my feelings for you, but i know now, clearer than ever." mike confessed. "can i-"

"y/n? who's at the-" el came downstairs, locking eyes with mike.

"oh, i see that you're busy, that's fine. i-i'll see you later then." mike nodded, hurt in his eyes.

"mike-" y/n began.

"no, no, i-i need to go, see you later, bye y/n, bye... el." mike turned back around and walked down the l/n residence's path.

"oh, i didn't mean to make him leave, i'm sorry." y/n turned around to see el looking sadder than ever.

"oh, no, el. it's not your fault. don't you worry about him. how about we watch a movie?" y/n puts her arm around el's shoulder.

"e.t.?" el's eyes lit up.

"whatever you want." y/n responded, as el took her hand and led her to the living room, mike still in her mind.