Chapter 2: An Uncertain Future

[Rayla]

Rayla examined Callum's face, not believing that the future he saw didn't matter. But she could tell that whatever he'd seen in the nightmare had shaken him. Rayla sighed, "Well what do you think we should do?"

Callum thought about her question before responding, "If Startouch Elves can see the future, then let's ask one for help."

"That's a great idea, but it's not that simple."

"Why not?"

"Startouch elves, or just any being connected to the Star Primal, are rare to come by," Rayla explained, "They mostly keep to themselves."

"Can't you think of anyone?" Callum pleaded.

Rayla considered his question, picking her mind for anything that could help. A story from her childhood came to mind. Growing up, the other children had whispered about a mad Startouch elf living in the forest near her home. Some even dared to enter her cave and each claimed to have seen horrific things.

"Insane Adalena," Rayla muttered under her breath.

"What?" Callum asked.

"Insane Adalena was a supposedly insane Startouch elf that lived in the forest by my home," Rayla said.

"Perfect," Callum said as he grabbed a bag off the floor and started packing, "Let's go."

"Woah, slow down Callum," Rayla said, taking the bag from him, "She's nothing more than fairytale nonsense. A tale told to frighten children and to keep them out of the woods."

"What kinds of stories?"

"Oh, typical scary stuff. Insane Adalena would eat disobedient kids or torture children who didn't practice their sword fighting."

"Is there any truth to the part of the stories that involve her being a Startouch elf?"

"Honestly, Callum, I don't know," Rayla said with a sigh.

"Well, we have to try," Callum said, taking the bag back from Rayla.

"Callum why can't we just let the future happen," Rayla pleaded, "It can't be that bad."

At her words, Callum suddenly stopped packing and his eyes fell, unfocused, to the floor. There was something he wasn't telling her. Rayla crossed over to Callum and after grabbing his hand she tilted his face up to meet hers. She gave him an encouraging smile and Callum gulped.

"In my dream, I saw you get hurt," Callum said speaking with quiet fury, "and the Startouch elf said it was my fault, and I can't let that happen to you--I won't let that happen to you. So I'm going to do whatever it takes to stop that dreadful future from becoming reality."

Rayla didn't know what to say. Callum was willing to do anything to stop this future in which she would get hurt. Who was she to stop him? Rayla picked up Callum's scarf and wrapped it around his neck and gave him a tight hug, "I'll go get packed. Tomorrow I'll take you to the forest and we can see if there's any truth behind the stories surrounding Insane Adalena."

With that Rayla turned to leave but Callum grabbed her arm and, turning her back toward him, pulled her into a kiss.

"I love you Rayla," Callum said as he pulled away, "And thank you for helping me."

"I'll always help you in any way I can Callum," Rayla said and this time she really did leave the room to get packed.

***

Early the next morning Rayla stood with Ezran, Zym, Bait, and Callum waiting for her and Callum's ride. They would hitch a ride on a moon phoenix to the forest, and from there they would walk to the cave where Adalena supposedly lived. Rayla wasn't looking forward to traveling so close to her old home. The wounds from her being banished still hadn't healed. But she would do anything to help Callum, including facing some unpleasant memories.