Chapter 8: Redo

[Callum]

Callum sighed as he once again exited another portal. He and Rayla had been jumping from memory to memory for what seemed like days. Callum was desperate to get to the future. He was tired of having to watch forgotten memories. But as Callum walked out of the portal this time, he was greeted by a familiar landscape. Tall palm trees, a blue lake, and black sand. Callum instantly knew what this memory was.

"Why are we in the oasis?" Rayla asked, "This is where we had our first kiss and I haven't tried to forget that memory... unless... Callum?"

"What?" Callum said, feeling a blush spread over his face. He watched as a-not-much-younger Rayla sat on a fallen tree crying and soon a-not-much-younger Callum approached her.

"The spell only shows us memories we have forgotten or are trying to forget. Why are you trying to forget this one?" Rayla said, sounding hurt.

"Well..." Callum said, rubbing the back of his neck, "It's just..."

"Just what?" Rayla asked, crossing her arms and gazing at their past selves, "I love this memory. You comforted me and helped to rebuild my confidence. So why are you trying to forget it?"

"Well, I don't want to forget that part of the memory," Callum said, "I'm just embarrassed."

"Embarrassed about what?"

"Embarrassed about how I reacted when you kissed me!" Callum cried his face burning with a blush, "I probably made you think that I didn't want to kiss you."

"Yeah, you kind of did..." Rayla said.

"But that wasn't it! I enjoyed the kiss," Callum said as he watched the said kiss happen in the memory, "It's just I wanted you to know that I said all those things about you because they were true, not because I wanted you to kiss me. Plus I didn't want to take advantage of you when you were in such a vulnerable state."

"That's very noble of you Callum." Rayla said, smiling, "And don't be embarrassed by it anymore, okay? It's all in the past. But... it was kind of awkward kiss if I'm honest."

"Oh yeah," Callum said, laughing, "You threatened to kill me after!"

"I'm an Elvin assassin, threatening to kill people is second nature to me."

"Oh, well, then I guess it's okay," Callum said, smiling.

"And if you think you were embarrassed, think of how I felt," Rayla said, jokingly, "I finally plucked up enough courage to kiss you -even if I was an emotional wreck- and then you just froze and looked confused. Oh, I thought I was going to die of embarrassment!"

Callum smiled, "We had a pretty unique first kiss."

"Yes we did," Rayla agreed.

"We could do a redo..."

"What?"

"Well, we are in the oasis, so we could try again..." Callum suggested.

"Okay," Rayla said, "Go ahead."

"Go ahead with what?"

"Well you have to compliment me, then I'll kiss you, and then you can react the right way this time."

"Okay, here we go," Callum said taking Rayla's hand and staring into her eyes, "You're the most amazing person I've ever met. Rayla you're fast, smart, funny, caring, brave, selfless, strong, and you always do the right thing. You're a hero and extremely beautiful. You're-"

Callum's endless compliments were cut short by Rayla kissing his lips. Rayla pulled back and looked at Callum. This time Callum did what he wished he'd done the first time, he leaned forward and kissed Rayla again.

"I think I love you," Callum whispered, pulling back from the quick kiss.

"You think?" Rayla snickered.

"Hey, that's what I wished I'd said!" Callum said, rolling his eyes, "Way to ruin the mood."

"Sorry," Rayla said, apologetically, "But, hey, everything worked out in the end. I mean we're a thing now so-"

"So everything is perfect?"

"Yep, everything is perfect, besides that fact that we're currently going through a maze of memories so we can hopefully prevent the future."

"Speaking of our mission looks like the next portal is here," Callum said, noticing a portal materializing. 

He desperately hoped that this one would lead to the future. Though he was enjoying joking around with Rayla, he couldn't shake a feeling of dread. A feeling that this might be one of the last times he laughs, smiles, or jokes with Rayla. A feeling that he's going to lose her forever and it's all his fault. A feeling that he can't stop the future from happening.

"Callum?" Rayla asked, pulling him from his thoughts, "You ready."

"Yep, let's go," Callum said, trying to sound cheerful.

Rayla smiled at him and then they entered the portal. The usual bright light engulfed Callum, and, like always, he kept on walking. When they reached the other side Callum was greeted by an endless white abyss filled with thick swirling fog.

"Where are we? Is this a memory of yours, Callum?" Rayla asked, sounding confused.

Callum looked at Rayla intently, "No... we're finally here. This is the future."

#####Author's Note#####

Sorry for the late update. I've been really busy for the last couple of days. But I hope you enjoy this chapter! Thanks again for reading! -HappyLlama160