Chapter 11: Siblings

[Rayla]

Rayla gave a nod of understanding. She had noticed Callum's determination and couldn't help but feel worried. She still felt uneasy about trusting a strange voice, but now that she had seen the future she knew that they didn't have a choice. She sighed and started wringing the water out of her hair. She hated water.

"You're back!" Adalena squealed as she burst into the cave, making Rayla and Callum jump in surprise, "I was getting worried that you'd never come out of there. Vosey said you might take a while, and you guys sure did!"

"How long were we gone?" Rayla asked.

"Um... I'm not sure... I stopped keeping track of time a long time okay," Adalena said, closing her eyes in concentration, "But I'd say you were gone for almost three days."

"Really?" Callum said, "It didn't feel like three days."

"Well, time works differently where you went, " Adalena said, "But my point is that you must be starving, and you're soaking wet. So come on, let's get you some food and dry you off."

"Sounds good to me," Rayla said as she felt her stomach rumble. Now she was wet, cold, and hungry.

"Follow me!" Adalena said in sing-song as she led them out of the cave.

Pretty soon Adalena had them wrapped up in blankets on her couch eating a delicious soup.

"I hope that it warms you guys up," Adalena said as she watched them gulp down her soup.

"It's delicious Adalena," Rayla said as she took another bite, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Adalena said with a smile, "I'm so glad to have you guys here. It's nice to not be alone."

"If you're so lonely then why do you stay so secluded? There must be other Startouch elves," Callum said.

"Yeah... there are, but they don't want anything to do with me," Adalena said sadly.

"Why? Is it because people think you're insane?" Rayla asked, feeling a pang of sympathy for Adalena. Against her better judgment, Rayla was starting to trust Adalena. She was kind and compassionate, despite being a little crazy at times.

"No, that's not it. I wasn't always insane. I had a good life. I had a wonderful husband, a beautiful home, and a promising future," Adalena said as tears started falling from her eyes, "Then the war between humans and Xadia happened and... I lost everything. All I had left was my brother, and then they took him away too. And I just want him back-"

"It's okay Adalena, don't cry," Callum said, trying to comfort her.

Adalena looked at Callum, "If your brother was in trouble you'd do anything to help him, right? Even if you had to hurt others along the way?"

"That's kind of an odd question, but yes I'd help him," Callum said, "But Adalena, I'm sorry for the things you've been through."

"Yeah, I'm sorry too," Rayla added, "And you don't seem that insane."

"I'm sorry too," Adalena said with a watery smile.

"For what?" Callum asked

"Um... sorry... that... I forgot dessert? Yes, that's it. I'm sorry about dessert," Adalena said unconvincingly as she ran out of the room to get dessert, mumbling to herself.

"Poor Adalena," Rayla said as she ate more of the soup.

"Yeah, I do feel really bad for her," Callum said, "But we're going to have to leave soon. We need to hurry and find the gems before it's too late."