Part 1

Diane found herself surrounded. A quick glance around revealed the number of knights had increased drastically. She wished she hadn't taken her pills that day as she was now backed into a desperate situation.  Her fellow sins were engaged in their own battles elsewhere and there was no one to help her.

A scream of pain  from a short distance away provided the opening she needed, allowing her to take control of one of the swords lying on the ground, using it to block the attack.  She delivered a sharp kick to the man's ribs,too exhausted to use her powers, and gasping for breath, she realized she was in over her head. 

It happened so quickly, she had no time to react. 

"Diane!"it was her only warning. 

"Fire!"A deep male voice shouted from somewhere behind her. With no energy left to fight her attackers, she readied herself. Her body froze,waiting for the piercing pain of the arrows to strike her, but it never came. 

"Diane." The familiar voice called again, this time from right next to her. She forced her eye open and gasped at the scene in front of her. King knelt on the ground before her, facing in the opposite direction, his small body trembling as he gasped for breath. She briefly caught sight of the arrows protruding from his body.

"King!" She cried out, her mind reeling. She took a step forward, her focus now shifting to the fairy, she was unaware that the knights were already posed to strike once more, their arrows aimed at her.

"Listen to me." King said. "You need to go." He coughed, the ground around him turning crimson. 

"Keep firing!" the command reached her ears but her only thought was of King. Tears filled her eyes and the world around her seemed to slow down as her mind tried to process what was happening.

"You need to get out of here now." King urged, forcing himself back to his feet with great difficulty. 

"I can't leave you!" she cried,shaking off the initial shock. 

"I'll follow you soon. It'll be alright, but I need you to go right now. There isn't much more you can do right now. Go find the others."  

"Are you sure you can-"

"I got this, don't worry about me. You need to find the others." Knowing she could no longer fight, the giantess reluctantly agreed.

"I-I'll bring them back here." She promised,her heart was beating wildly in her chest. As she fled she faintly heard  King's words.

"I won't let you hurt her!" He said defiantly.  A moment later the world around her was silent. She began to slow down, she simply couldn't run anymore. Darkness surrounded her and she knew nothing more. 

Diane's eyes fluttered open and she waited for her vision to focus and for her head to stop spinning. 

"Must've been a dream." She thought out loud. "A horrible dream." She scanned her surroundings, realizing that she was lying in one of the upstairs bedrooms at the Boar Hat. Diane slowly pushed herself up, her body aching as she sat up.

"Take it easy." Meliodas said from beside her. "You should rest a while, you were in shock. It's not a good idea to-"

"Oh Captain, I had the worst nightmare. We were fighting and there were these knights-"

"Diane-" The dragon sin called, Diane ignored him, pressing on. 

"I-I was surrounded, I couldn't get-" the tears were returning  as she recounted the events. 

"Diane, I need you to listen to me for a second." the blond insisted.

"Then King, H-he-"Meliodas grabbed her shoulders, looking into her eyes.

"I need you to listen to me." He said seriously. "You weren't dreaming. You were in shock when we found you. It took me a while to get you to tell me what was going on. You need to know that-"

"wait, I don't remember even seeing you, how could I have-" Meliodas released her.

"Like I said, you were in shock, exhausted. I'm surprised you made  it as far as you did. We brought you back here and you've been asleep for-" Diane gasped as the realization hit her.

"King!" She cried, "Where's King?"She stood from the bed in a panic.

"Diane, you might wanna sit down for this."The giantess shook her head.

"No, I have to see him." she insisted, her panic growing with each second that passed. Meliodas sighed heavily.

"He's here, but he's not doing too good. He probably wouldn't be alive right now if you hadn't told us where he was. When Ban found him, he'd already lost a lot of blood and he was just barely conscious."

"Where is he, show me."She demanded. 

"Are you sure you feel okay to be up, he'd-"

"I have to see him, take me there." The dragon sin nodded.

"Alright." He relented, allowing her to use him as a support as they made their way across the hall, stopping at Ban's room.

"You should know before you go in there,he's really pale and very weak. Those arrows were poisoned and  there were three of them that actually hit him, so he's  dealing with a lot right now. I just want you to be prepared before you see him." They could hear Ban's voice from inside the room as they pushed open the door to find him at the fairy's bedside.

"All I'm sayin' is prove us wrong,King...do it for her."Ban requested softly from the sleeping fairy. 

"Hey Ban, how's he doing?" Meliodas asked, Ban turned to face his friend.

"I mean he's still breathing if that's what you wanna know.  Pretty shallow, but he's hanging in there. He still hasn't woken up though."

"Give him some time. He's definitely got some strength in him, I'll give him that. Diane's going to sit with King for a little while, let's go downstairs and have a drink. It's been a long day for all of us."  Ban stood from his chair.

"Drinks sound pretty good right about now."Ban replied, "You sure she can handle this?"

"I'm fine." Diane said, not bothering to meet the man's gaze. Meliodas helped her into the chair.

"If you need anything, or this gets to be too much, just yell down. He's going to need someone with him for a while." Once she was alone, Diane allowed her tears to flow freely.  She slid out of the chair, kneeling beside the bed. She reached out with a trembling hand, stroking the soft brown hair lovingly. 

"I don't know if you can hear me right now,King," She sobbed. The fairy remained still offering no sign that he could hear her words. "I'm so sorry, I never should've left you like that.  You saved my life and I let this happen. You're always looking out for me, and I- I promise you I'll stay here with you until you're stronger, I'll take care of you. I need you to just..live. I don't know what happened to me. I need you here."

"You got any ideas on how to fix this?"Ban  took a drink from his mug. Meliodas shook his head. 

"A regular doctor won't be able to help him and I've already sent Hawk and Gowther to get Merlin. It's pretty much out of our hands now. King's gotta be strong enough  to fight through it  on his own until they get back. It's weird though." The dragon sin said thoughtfully.

"What is?"

"Three poison arrows...the places they hit him, I've never seen anyone survive that before. Especially the one that was so close to his heart. "

"So what you're saying is, you think he-"

"I think we should  wait and see. Expect the worst but don't give up on him. I've seen King pull of some incredible things and I wouldn't put it past him, but all we can do right now is wait."