Part 7

Diane stepped inside the doorway followed closely by Oslo and Ban. The black hound began sniffing at the air, Diane placed a gentle hand on his head.

"Do you think you can find him , Oslo?" She asked. 

"You sure about this?" Ban questioned. "It's been a-"Diane gave a nod.

"I'm sure. I need to know."She insisted. Suddenly, the hound let out a loud bark and rushed off leaving the giantess struggling to keep up.

"Hey, wait!" Diane cried. Ban shook his head.

"Crazy dog."he muttered, he began to talk with no particular destination in mind. He chose a winding path leading him deeper into the Capital,finding himself alone. A quick movement caught his attention and he turned to find nothing. 

"What the-"A faint whisper reached his ears, followed by a familiar voice.

"Ban?"He turned to find himself facing King, behind him, a smaller fairy was just visible. "It's okay." King assured the frightened fairy.  "He won't hurt you. Go ahead and get back to your game."He instructed gently.  After a moment, the younger fairy did as he was told, obviously terrified of the fox sin.

"What was that about?"

"Some of them are still afraid of humans, you can't blame them after what happened. So, I'm guessing you're here to see my sister?" The fox sin smiled.

"I was kind of hoping I might run into you too, been a while."

"Yeah, I guess it has. At least a couple of months, I think." 

"Yeah. Diane's here too, she's got that dog with her, ran off in the other direction though. She was hoping he'd find you. King scoffed. 

"He probably though he smelled food. I love Oslo, but sometimes I wonder...anyway, I'm glad I found you, let's take a walk." King lowered himself to his feet and the two began their journey, 

"So, how are things out there?" Harlequin asked, Ban shrugged. 

"Same crap, different day.  It's Summer now."

"Yeah,  how's Diane been since I left?"

"Not great. She's been  doing her best to stay away from us for the most part.  She'll talk to the Princess sometimes but not too often.  Captain's worried about her, maybe  when you run into her, you can see if she's okay."

"She will be, you and I both know how hard it is to lose someone we love. Like Helbram said, it's the ones we leave behind that actually suffer the most. Maybe when she sees that I'm okay, it'll help her. Most people don't get to see this place until their time comes and it leaves them with more questions than answers." King explained.

"Yeah, but the down side to eternal life, you live forever, that time never comes. You watch the people you care about die and there's nothing you can do about it. But when I find a way, I'll get you guys out of here and-"

"That's kind of what I want to talk to you about." King said, he stopped turning to face Ban. "Do  you know how rare it is for those opportunities to come along?"

"Considering I've been looking for years, I have an idea. "

" know you'll do it anyway, but when that time comes, don't worry about me,just get Elaine out." Ban stared in shock for a moment.

"You serious?"

"I am. I had my chance to live outside of the forest,  she should have a chance too. For her sake, understand what I'm saying, I'm trusting you with my sister. Promise me that you'll look after her. Make sure you give her everything she needs."