Part 2

Meliodas sighed, placing the fresh bandages on the bedside table. Diane had fallen asleep with her head resting on King's bed. The giantess frowned in her sleep, clearly having a bad dream. 

"K-King..." She murmured. The blond sin shook his head, he knew she had stayed up most of the night with the fairy, tending to as best she could.

"King, No...please." She continued, her voice filled with pain.  Her breathing quickened, as she shifted anxiously.  Meliodas quickly made the decision to spare her from the further torment. He reached out to shake her shoulder.

"KING, NO!" She cried. Meliodas stopped as King's eyes opened slowly, the fairy winced at the pain coursing through his body, but fought against it to rest his hand on top of Diane's.

"Diane." He called weakly.  The giantess let out a soft whimper.

"I-I'm so sorry, King, I couldn't-"

"It's okay." The fairy soothed. He turned his head away from her, coughing. A soft painful moan escaping him. Diane woke at the sound, finding King's hand on her's.

"Are you okay, King?" she asked, feeling tears fill her eyes. The fairy didn't bother to turn to her. 

"Y-Yeah. " He gasped. Meliodas walked around to the other side of the bed, offering him a small cloth, noticing the trickle of crimson on the corner of his friend's mouth.

"I was so worried, don't scare me like that." Diane sniffled. King found it difficult to lift his arm to his face. Diane reached over him, taking the cloth in her own hand and gently placing her palm on his cheek, gently forcing him to look at her.

"D-Diane-"He began, obviously in pain. She wiped the blood from his pale face. 

"I'm so sorry." She began to sob. "This is my fault. Thank you, for saving my life."She leaned down, kissing his forehead.  

"Diane, I did this, you didn't have anything to do with what happened to me." Diane shook her head.

"I should never have left you there like that. Y-You could've-"

"Hey, you did exactly what I needed you to do.  I'm really glad you're okay. Please don't  cry."The fairy requested, his body tensed as the stabbing pains returned.

"King, what's wrong?" Diane asked. 

"N-nothing, I-I'm okay." King said. 

"Hey Diane, can you run down to the tavern, I left a bottle on the counter. We'll have to change the bandages and we need it."

"Can't you-"

"It's for King, Diane. He really needs it." Meliodas pointed out.  Diane sighed, standing up.

"It's okay." King said. "I'll be here when you come back."

"Promise?" fresh tears filled her eyes. 

"promise." He offered a faint smile as the giantess turned leaving the two alone.

"Hey King, how's it going?" The dragon sin asked.

"E-everything hurts, just t-taking a breath-"

"Just hang in there, I've got Gowther and Hawk out there looking for Merlin and as soon as she gets here, you'll be good."

"Y-you and I both know how this ends, Captain. " Meliodas shook his head, he reached into his pocket, pulling out a flask. 

"It's a little too soon to start thinking that way, King. This is the best I've got, it's stronger than what we usually drink. It's not much, but it'll ease the pain. I thought you could use it. You want some before we start?"King nodded feebly,  Meliodas slipped his arm behind the fairy king's shoulder.