Part 3

Meliodas placed the cool, damp cloth on  King's head, despite the sins best efforts, the fairy developed a fever. His health rapidly declining. Concerned at her lack of sleep, he managed to convince Diane to take a short break, volunteering himself to take her place. 

"I'm sorry,King. They're not here yet and I know it's getting harder for you. At the very least Ban should be back soon, I sent him to get more of that drink for you. Diane should be here in a little while. I don't know how aware of this you are, but she's been watching over you the whole time. It's not easy to pull her away."

"I know." King replied weakly. "I'm not always asleep when my eyes are closed. I just can't always force myself to respond. It's kind of weird. I'm sort of awake, but I feel like- I don't know how to describe it. I can actually feel the little strength I have left slowly draining out of my body."

"Hang in there a little longer."

"Trying to. It's a lot harder than it sounds."

"Yeah, I'm sure it is. You got a lot going on right now. When you're stronger-" A series of harsh coughs paused their conversation. King struggled to catch his breath. Meliodas was at a loss, unsure of what to do for him. Though the dragon sin never said it out loud, the sins were much more to him than a group of former knights to lead into battle. The Sins were his family. It hurt him to see any of them in pain.  After a moment, King's breathing began to settle.

"You okay?" the dragon sin asked.

"As about as okay as I can be, I guess. I've definitely been better though."

"You need me to get you anything?"Meliodas offered. 

"No. I'm just...really tired. I think I'm just going to sleep." The heavy fatigue and weakness were audible as the fairy spoke. 

"Hey Captain," Diane called from the doorway.  Meliodas turned to her. The giantess entered the room carrying a vase filled with various colored roses and several bright white daisies.  "Is King still asleep, I was going to do this when he was feeling better, but-" Her gaze fell to the flowers."I-I just thought maybe it would cheer him up and-"

"I'm awake." King confirmed, he forced himself to open his eyes and put on a faint smile.  Diane made her way over to King's bed, kneeling beside him. 

"Hey Diane." He greeted.

"Hey King, how are you feeling?"

"I feel okay, I guess."  Diane drew in a breath. 

"I know you're not feeling good and you need to rest. If you want, this can wait until-"

"It's okay.  I might be sick, but that doesn't mean I'm not here for you." Diane shook her head slowly, setting the flowers aside for a moment and leaning forward to kiss his head.

"There's something I want to say to you, something I should've told you a long time ago. I never said the words because I just...I assumed you already knew. You-I brought you these..." She picked up the vase to show the fairy. 

"They're beautiful, thank you." King said, touched by the gesture. 

"Yeah, but it's more than just  flowers, they- each one means something special.  Things that I want to say to you.  These pink ones are a symbol of gentleness because that's all you've shown me through our friendship. The daisies are to wish healing when someone isn't well and the Lavender and red roses..." Diane wiped away the tears that were threatening to fall.

"They're for love at first sight and promising to love someone eternally. It's flower language and-" 

"How did you know all this?"King asked, stunned. Diane, leaned forward, resting her forehead gently against his.